Chapter 61

Sanganer

Meanwhile, Jalal's hunting party had reached Sanganer. Jalal was waiting for Fadhil to return.

A horse dashed up and stopped in front of Jalal's tent. Fadhil jumped out of the saddle. Jalal stood at the tent entrance.

"Fadhil Khan! You are back! How did my good-for-nothing brother-in-law react?"

"Salam Aleikum Jahanpanah! He was quite surprised to see me! When I gave him your message, he couldn't hide his discomfort! And, huzoor! Adham Khan is with him!"

"Adham Khan? What is he doing in Amer? Have we not expressed clearly enough that he should return to Agra? What has he to do with Sharif ud-Din?" exclaimed Jalal angrily. "Has he seen you?"

"Ji. He ran into me after I delivered your message to Sharif ud-Din!"

"Then he will probably ride here with Sharif. We are curious how he will explain his presence. Well, be that as it may! If he's here too, we can keep a better eye on him. Abdul, make sure that both of them are watched unobtrusively at every turn once they set foot in our camp. We want to be informed of their every move!"

"Have you heard anything else Fadhil Khan?" Fadhil knew the background of the question even without spoken words.

"No, nothing huzoor!" he bowed his head dejectedly.

"Then we have no choice but to wait until Caghatai Khan arrives with Raja Bharmal. Abdul, after the meeting with Raja Bharmal, we will leave for Ajmer. Messengers have reported to me that the serail is not far away. We will meet them in Ajmer."

"Jahanpanah, two horsemen approaching!" reported a soldier.

"Ah, that will be Caghatai Khan with the Raja! Bring them to my tent! Fadhil, get some rest. Abdul, you stay here!"

"Jahanpanah, His Highness Raja Bharmal and Caghatai Khan ask to be let forward!"

"Show them in!"

"Pranam shahenshah!"

"Aadaab, Raja Bharmal! Caghatai Khan! Take a seat. I hope your journey has been free of trouble. Raja Bharmal, may I offer you some water or sharbat? Some fruit? Guard! Have refreshments brought for our guests!"

Raja Bharmal sat uneasily on his stool. What would the conversation with the young emperor bring? Could he rely on Jalal's statements? Had he spoken the truth and had he really not ordered Sharif ud-Din to attack Amer? Would he be able to secure the release of his sons? What if Jalal insisted on the exchange with Jodha?

"Raja Bharmal, Caghatai Khan has told us about Sharif ud-Din's shameful attack on Amer. Rest assured that we knew nothing of this affront to your country and had no intentions for it! Sharif ud-Din had no order to attack Amer. We never wanted to take revenge on Amer because of the unfortunate incident in Agra. We were and are convinced of your nephew's innocence. Abdul Khan has proved his innocence by his testimony. And finally let me say to you, before you ask, the behavior of our prime minister is inexcusable. It will not make up for the humiliation you have suffered, but perhaps it will give you some relief that he has been removed from office in the meantime. He has shamelessly abused his position to plot sacrilegiously behind our backs. He has arbitrarily without our knowledge rescinded our offer of an alliance to knowingly sow discord between Amer, the Mughal Sultanate, and us." He paused.

"Can we believe you Shahenshah? Your subedar and son-in-law is attacking our country, killing our people, robbing temples, devastating the land. What would you think in our place after the conspiracy in Agra?"

"We agree with you Raja Bharmal. Your suspicions are justified. We would think similarly. Unfortunately, there is one more thing..." He paused. Abdul nodded at him encouragingly. "The conspiracy in Agra was of far greater proportions." The Raja looked at him in consternation.