Chapter 48

Bharmal paced restlessly up and down his room. What a suggestion Jalal had made to him! And why did he knew of Bikaner's rejection ... A matrimonial alliance between a Rajput and a Moghul? Unthinkable! Impossible! It was two worlds, two different religions! He could not reconcile it with his belief that one of his daughters should convert to Islam upon marriage. It was impossible! An alliance with the Mughals ...? After he had only received rejection from the other Rajput states in response to his request for help, an alliance with the Mughals was quite attractive for the protection of Amer. But was an alliance with the Mughal invaders secure? How much could he rely on Jalal's word that he would continue to have sovereignty in Amer? Was it a trap or a serious offer? The young ruler seemed to mean it seriously. But an alliance? One-time aid in the past was different from an alliance. This had far-reaching consequences for his country. He decided to discuss the matter with his ministers on his return to Amer. Until then he would remain silent about it. He sighed deeply.

________________________________________________

Jodha had spent the afternoon in the harem with Bakshi, Ruqaya, and their sisters. The harem was humming with the hustle and bustle of wedding preparations. She couldn't make sense of Ruqaya. Bakshi was open and chatted happily about their wedding. It hurt Jodha that her fiancé was uninhibitedly chasing other women, even though the wedding was due to take place in a few days. Ruqaya sat boring and only took part in the conversation when asked something. Her answers were arrogant and monosyllabic. Jodha would have liked to get to know the first consort of Jalal better. But any attempt to have a conversation with her came to nothing. At some point she had stopped engaging in a conversation. Her sisters were busy chatting and it was a pleasant afternoon. The next day the Mehndi ceremony would take place.

"Bakshi you have to see Jodha dancing!" Sukanya exclaimed enthusiastically. "She's just wonderful!" she called enthused.

"Sukanya, stop it!" shouted Jodha, embarrassed.

"Jiji please, you have to dance!"

"Sukanya, I already asked your sister to do it! I hope she makes me happy!"

"Oh, you all make me very embarrassed!" Jodha blushed.

"Please dance tomorrow jiji!" Shivani asked now too.

"With so many requests I can't say no anymore!" laughed Jodha.

"No, Jodha! It is decided! I'm looking forward to it!" said Bakshi happily.

________________________________________________

In the evening in her room, she sighed. What was she getting into? Well, it wasn't the first time she danced and she liked to dance. She hoped Bakshi's family members would also agree. But if it was Bakshi's wish ...

She sat on a stool and thought about the night in the garden. Again she thought she felt the gentle touch of Jalal's fingers on hers. Her cheeks started to burn and the ring got warm! The room suddenly got stuffy! The desire for fresh air became overwhelming! "Huh ...! What is it? The ring...! I need fresh air! But I can't go into the garden again! What if he's there again?" Her mind raced and her heart pounded wildly! "What should I do!" The emerald glowed in the candlelight. "Go! Go into the garden!" She couldn't ...

"Moti! Moti!"

"What is Jodha?"

"We're going to the garden!"

"Do you really want to go?"

"Come over!"

This time they sat on a bench in a small pavilion that was overgrown with roses. Braziers flickered to light the interior. The scent of roses sweetened the mild night. Jodha inhaled the scent deeply. She could breathe freely again. Now she was glad to have escaped the stuffy room.