Chapter 23

Amer

"Jodha, watch out and concentrate" Sujamal shouted. Her cousin watched as she did practice with the sword with her brother Khanghar. She whirled lightfooted around Khanghar. Fended off, attacked, ducked. Khanghar had little chance of attacking her. She was quick and nimble.

"You're getting better and better, little sister," praised Khanghar Singh and made a lunge to attack her. For a tiny moment Jodha hadn't paid attention and was just barely able to parry the blow. Khanghar caught her on the upper arm with his sword.

"Jodha!" yelled Sujamal and Khanghar concurrently.

At the same time in Delhi Jalal was hanging barefoot on his favorite young elephantbull, Hawai. Hawai with his ears up, his head and trunk were beating back and forth wildly. Opposite of him, another elephant, no less threatening. Suddenly the other elephant attacked! The heads of the pachyderms clashed against each other. They trumpeted wildly and pushed themselves with their heads back and forth. Dust swirled up and enveloped the raging bulls in a light haze. It bathed the scene in a diffuse light. Jalal enjoyed sitting on the nape of Hawai's neck. He was holding on to keep from falling off. After a short time, Hawai had managed to put the other bull elephant to flight. He pursued his opponent for a short while and then stopped with his ears up and trunk raised and trumpeted loudly. Jalal laughed and praised him for his victory, patted his head lovingly. At such moments he forgot everything around him and was happy The mahouts took care of the other elephant and brought him back. Jalal slowly steered Hawai back into the camp. The elephant had not calmed down completely and was whipping its head and trunk back and forth.

"Quiet Hawai" Jalal said gently, caressing his ears. Suddenly he felt how an inner restlessness gripping him. It spread all over his body and his left hand began to tingle. Confused, he raised his hand and felt warmth on his fingers. The warmth seemed to emanate from the ring with the green emerald. He looked at the ring in amazement. He couldn't explain the restlessness and pulled the ring from his finger. He lay warm in the palm of his hand and slowly the inner restlessness subsided. Jalal shook his head and put the ring back on. Could there actually be a bond across the ring? It was the same warmth he suddenly had felt on the battlefield of Mewat. Could it be a connection to Jodha? Was everything allright with her? Hawai shake with his head again and brought him back to the present. Concentrating on the elephant, he rode it back into the camp.

"Jodha!"

The scream of Sujamal and Khanghar rang in her ears. At the same time she felt a pain in her upper arm and she lowered her sword. She saw a blood stain spread across her white robe. She felt another sharp pain. She dropped to her knees and inhaled air through her clenched teeth. Tears welled up in her eyes and her heart began to beat wildly. Sujamal was with her first.

"Are you fine Jodha?" he asked. Khanghar stepped over to her other side, worried.

"Sister ..." he called out in horror and got down on his knees next to her as he saw the wound. Sujamal examined the wound.

"Khanghar, run and get vaidya Narayana! I'll take Jodha to her room. Can you walk?" he asked her.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said through clenched teeth and nodded. "It's just a scratch!" She suddenly felt a pleasant warmth spreading inside her and her wild beating heart calming down. It feels very soothing. She was bemused.

Sujamal helped her up and brought her to her room. On the way they met Champavati.

She turned pale when she noticed the red mark on Jodha's upper arm.

"Sujamal, what happened?" She asked worried and clapped her hand to her mouth.

"For a little moment she wasn't paying attention and was just barely able to parry Khanghars blow. I think it's not that bad. Khanghar fetches vaidya Narayana."

"Oh Jodha, does it hurt a lot?" she asked her daughter sympathetically.

"It's fine," she said calmly. "It's not the first time. That is part of practicing. The next time I'll be more attentive" she said embarassed.

Champavati knew that she couldn't forbid Jodha to practice and stroked her head comfortingly.

Together they went to Jodha's room and made her sit comfortable on her bed. Shortly afterwards the vaidya came and looked at the wound.

"You're lucky Rajkumari, it's not deep" Narayana said to Jodha after examining the wound. He carefully cleaned it and Jodha hissed.

„I will now apply a herbal paste. That will burn for a moment, you already know it."

Narayana pressed the edges of the wound together. Jodha gritted her teeth as Narayana applied the paste carefully. He put a piece of soft cotton over it and tightly bandaged her arm.

„And now you take rest for today. Keep your arm still. I'll come back tomorrow and change the bandage"said the vaidya calmly.

„Thank you Narayana. How many times have you patched us all up?" She liked the older man and had often helped him prepare his medicine and had listened to him tell her about the use of the medicine and the treatment of various diseases. Narayana laughed.

„I can't count it anymore Rajkumari!" He chuckled. "Take rest now. I will come back tomorrow. Namaste!"

"Namaste Narayana!"

„Jodha beti, does it hurt a lot? Should I have something sweet brought to you?" asked Champavati concerned.

"No, maasa, I'll lie down a little. It doesn't hurt very much. That will heal quickly."

"Then rest now. I'll have some fruit brought to you." Champavati sighed, stroked lightly over her head and kissed her forehead. Her brave strong girl. What would the future hold for her? she thougt lost in thoght. Lovingly she looked at her and left the room. Little did she know that fate had already begun to spin its threads.

After Champavati left, Jodha felt an urgent need to get Jalal's ring out of its hiding place. She got up and took him out. When he lay on the palm of her hand, it felt strangely comforting and a deep calm spread inside her. She put the ring on her finger and lay down on her bed. She looked at the ring on her finger and lost herself in the memory of Jalal. The deep soothing calm fully enveloped her like a warm, protective blanket and she dozed off peaceful.

To be continued...