Thinking Out Loud

"Damn you, Natasha," you muttered to yourself as you zipped your dress up and stared at your reflection in the mirror.

Everything felt wrong and you felt like the least attractive human on the face of the planet. Your hair felt messy so you grabbed a bobby pin, carefully finding the right place to tuck it in. 

"I can't believe you're married."

You turned to look at Thor as you placed the final pin in your hair and smiled. 

"I think everyone might have known it would happen eventually," you replied with a smile. 

"Could've been me," he replied with a sad smile. "But I am very happy for the two of you." 

"Thank you," you replied softly. "And thank you for teaching me so many new things, Thor. You're the one who taught me to open my heart and love and I'll always be so thankful for that."

"I'm glad I was able to teach you something," he teased. "Are you ready for this?" 

"Stark knows I hate parties but I'm ready. I'm appreciative of everything he's done for Steve, Bucky, and I."

Thor flashed a smile in your direction before offering his arm to you. You looped your arm around his before walking into the party that Natasha had planned on Tony's dime. 

"It's beautiful," you said softly as you looked at the transformed room. 

There had been flowers everywhere and you suddenly felt at ease. Your white dress trailed behind you as you and Thor walked through the party to your groom. 

As much as Tony and Natasha fought for you to have a proper wedding surrounded by family and friends, you and Steve objected-- your beach wedding was perfect for the two of you and you couldn't have been more grateful. 

"Aren't you a vision," Tony said with a chuckle as you and Thor reached where Steve, Tony, and Clint had been talking. 

"Oh, I know," you teased. "The dress is amazing, Tony. This entire party is."

"It was all Romanoff." 

"Of course it was," you replied before Steve reached his hand out to you and you took it. 

The room was filled with hundreds of people and despite all of their eyes on you, you couldn't have been more comfortable as Steve guided you across the room to the dedicated dance floor. As you stood in the center, Natasha had a new song played for you and Steve to share a dance- Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. 

As you and Steve danced around the floor, it felt like it was just the two of you and your heart fluttered in your chest as you rested your chin on his shoulder. 

As you glided, you couldn't help but think how three years earlier, you and Steve were given the shock of a lifetime and quickly learned to hate one another after being friends for so long. You thought of how slamming doors and harsh words turned into a marriage that you never thought would have been possible but here Steve Rogers was, making it possible. 

"Are you okay?" Steve whispered before gently spinning you around. 

"I'm perfect," you whispered. "I just never thought we'd be here."

"That makes two of us. I never thought I'd have a chance with you of all people. You were quite literally my dream girl. You were every guys dream." 

"Oh stop," you replied with a smile. 

"You think Bucky chased all of the guys away for fun?" 

You both chuckled and paused to look at one another, your gaze holding his for a long while. 

"You know what, Steven Grant Rogers?" 

"What's that?" 

"I'm so in love with you. I'm grateful for every moment, both good and bad," you replied with a smile.

"When did you know you loved me?"

"The truth?" You questioned. "It was my sixteenth birthday and everybody had forgotten about it.  Dad had just died the month before and everybody had been preoccupied, which I now understand but then we were just kids and I felt so sad.  I was crying on the roof and you climbed up and sat there with me the entire night. You were the only person who didn't forget. I mean, you even brought me flowers." 

"I remember that like it was yesterday."

"I do too," you replied as the song ended and you softly kissed Steve before showing Steve the side of your middle finger that had a tiny bouquet of flowers tattooed on it. 

"How have I never noticed that?" Steve questioned. 

"It's new." 

You winked before walking towards the bar with Steve behind you. 

"I can't believe that Y/N Barnes has a tattoo," Steve teased. 

"You mean Rogers." 

"Yes," Steve chuckled as he leaned down to press a kiss to your lips before whispering against them. "I mean Rogers." 

You smiled against Steves lips and all felt right. Your story together started in New York and thought it was far from over, life had brought you two back together in New York as a married couple almost ninety years from when you had first met. 

It was everything you had ever wanted. 

And more.