Chapter 4

The next day, at lunch on Thursday, Sam and I were talking about how much fun we had while laser gaming to our friends. It was all fun until Susie sat down with us. “Hey, what were you talking about?”

“Oh, Emma and Sam went laser gaming with Harry Styles and Ed Sheeran yesterday! I mean, how cool is that!!” Jade, another friend of us, said to Susie. Susie, on the other hand, wasn’t that happy about it. She gave us with a destructive look. What did we do now?

“Oh I’m sure you had so much fun. Just the TWO of you together. Again. Without me.” She said. I thought I could hear some hurt in her voice, but she was trying to hide it by acting all angry.

“Come on Susie, not this again. Could you please be happy for us one time? Don’t be jealous.” Sam was obviously tired of Susie constant moody attitude. I was too, but I knew that this wasn’t going to end well.

“Why would I be happy that I wasn’t invited. Again? You always do fun things without me!” Susie was screaming right now. It was quiet embarrassing, because everyone in the school canteen was looking at us now. This was exactly why I didn’t want to have Susie with us yesterday. She’s such a drama queen, she can make a mountain out of a molehill so easily.

“Susie, please. It wasn’t our idea. You don’t know anything what happened yesterday and you certainly don’t know why we did it anyway!! You don’t even like it! And it was Harry’s idea and he suggested we could take Sam with us, so I called her! But if you act like this all the time, don’t expect me to invite you next time.” I was really getting angry with Susie now. She always had to ruin the fun. Whenever she thought someone got more attention than herself, she got upset and started insulting everyone. She acted like a child most of the time. When she didn’t know what to say after my rant, she just stormed away.

“What was that? Did something pop in her head or something?” Lucy said.

“I have no idea, but she has been like this a few times before. Completely irrational and very jealous. And the worst thing is that she didn’t even stay to listen to why we went laser gaming.” I looked at Sam for support. I trusted Jade, but I was afraid she would eventually tell Susie. Jade was too easy to convince, but she should know. I would have to tell them eventually, so I better did it right now. “Uhm yesterday I was having quite a hard time, and Harry was trying to cheer me up, and that’s why we went. I, eh, no, my mum, she, er, she has ...” I swallowed before I continued, looking at Sam again. She smiled reassuringly at me. “She has cancer, liver cancer, but we don’t really know anything yet.”

Jade gasped and looked at me as if I had grown another head. Lucy closed her eyes and shook her head, muttering “no, oh my god no”, while Zoë took my hand. “You know that we’re here for you, and that you can always talk to us, right?”

“Thank you, and I know, but can we move on to a happier subject please? Look, I have pictures of yesterday,” I said as I started to look for the phone in my schoolbag.

-------------------------------

When I was home I watched my favourite film to get my mind on other things. I made a cup of tea and looked if we had any Oreo. I sat down on the sofa and I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1. I loved Harry Potter and I was going to marry Tom Felton. If he ever noticed I exist anyway. The part that really touched me was the part of Dobby’s death. I was bawling my eyes out when Harry called again.

“Hey Harry,” I said, but my voice was strained because I was in tears because of Dobby

“Em, are you crying? What’s wrong?” Harry sounded worried. Aww. How was I going to explain that I was crying because of a fictional character though?