Chapter 17

⋇⊶⊰❣⊱⊷

Week 3 – Monday

The boy ushered you out of the dining hall, pushing through the heavy, oak doors and into the quiet hallway, cast in an empty blue. Yellow lamp lights flickered against the shadows, reflected in the tile floor. As they shut with a gentle click, footsteps echoed in their silence. Bakugo's head darted around the corner, the hairs trailing his neck standing on edge as he searched the hall for others.

"Are you going to tell me what that was all about?" You whispered harshly, overwhelmed by the sudden intrusion. You could feel your heart thudding in your chest, fingers clenched into anxious fists. It definitely wasn't because he'd pulled you aside and wanted you alone with that desperate look in his eyes.

When he didn't reply, too focused on making sure the coast was clear, you filled the silence. "Your friends were giving you a hard time," you added. "What was that about?"

"None of your business."

He breathed a long sigh, leaning one shoulder against the wall, arms folded into each other. You tucked yourself beside him, hands hidden behind your back, shoulders in your ears. You were alone.

His crimson eyes looked down at you through long, dark – since when did Bakugo have such nice eyelashes – ?

"When were you going to tell me your mom was Infinity?"

The name sent a pang to your heart. It broke a flood of memories. You could hear the news anchor's voices on television. Hear her name in the words of those who cared for her.

"You know her hero name?"

"I'm not messin' around. Why'd you keep that from me?"

"I dunno. I didn't think her hero identity was all that important. Even if I saw her as the greatest hero, as my role model at the time, it's not like she was a big time pro or anything. Besides, she's gone now, so... I don't really like to talk about it –"

(TRACK - Hīrō no kage)

"Idiot! That's all bullshit. She's famous!"

Your mouth fell. "What do you mean?"

"Are you stupid? She was above AllMight before he reached his prime. She served in the war, and made peace between countries. She was one of the greatest heroes to ever live! Your mom was a living legend."

Bakugo's eyes widened with realization. "All this time, I had no clue she had a daughter. I don't think anyone did."

The words he was saying sounded like nonsense. But the look in his eyes, the shock on his face...

"There's no way..."

You couldn't believe it. Not after all those years.

"Your dad never told you?"

"W-We don't get along," you stammered, trying to make sense of it all. "And my parents were divorced. He didn't believe in her hero work."

"...Asshole," Bakugo cursed. "What about the Director?"

"She's always wanted me to stay away from the hero world. Wouldn't let me have a phone until I was older, always said my mom was a mid-rank hero, just someone helping the community. I didn't realize she was... well..."

"They erased her from the internet a while back. During that stupid controversy when she tried to revive some political leader... So you wouldn't have been able to search for her either..." Bakugo sighed. "Even still, you were kept out of the loop. Gaslit by the sound of it. She was your mom! How did they keep this from you? Fuck... This changes things."