Chapter 7

KELSEY

You could hear a pin drop in this kitchen and it is awkward as hell. Chaz has managed to eat his entire sandwich, but I think he has kept his glare on me the entire time. He doesn’t trust me, that’s for sure. Why should he though? I’m a stranger who showed up in his house with his elderly mother. It’s the beginning of one too many true crime documentaries. Being here wasn’t the smartest move on my part either. For all I know, Chaz is a killer and Beth lures the young women in by being kind and generous. I think I need to get out of here as soon as possible.

“So, Kelsey,” Beth tries once again to break the silence, “your parents must have been quite the farmers to have such large land here.”

“They were,” I nod, “I mean, they still are, just not here. People said my dad could talk to plants to get them to grow, he always had the best harvests around.”

“I’d love to get into gardening more. Did you get that same green thumb?”

“I’m not as good at it, but I do enjoy spending time digging in the dirt and tending to a garden. They were more into food and sustenance, but I like growing flowers.”

“I’m going to do some research on those roses so I can keep them going.” Beth turns to her son, “Kelsey said that those were her mom’s favorite roses. Isn’t that neat that they’re still growing even though the house has been vacant?”

“I guess,” he grumbles.

“Did you take the plans for the back porch to Stan today?”

“Mmhmm.”

“When do you think you’ll get started on it?”

Chaz pushes away from the table, taking his plate with him, “I don’t know, Mom. I was going to unload everything today, but things have changed a bit so who knows.”

“Charles, what is with the attitude today? All because Kelsey is here?”

“Oh Beth, it’s okay, really. Being here today kind of messed up my plans too. I appreciate the lunch, but I think it is time for me to head out.”

“Are you sure? I thought you could walk with me and show me your favorite parts of the land. You said earlier today that there was a land bridge over to the farm next door, I bet that’s a fun walk.”

“She said she should be going, Mom, you should let her go.”

Chaz dropped his dishes in the sink and pushed the swinging door into the mudroom and soon after the back door closed with extra force. Beth gave me half a smile, embarrassed over her son’s actions. “He’s not usually like this. I promise.”

“Gosh, Beth, you have got to be one of the nicest women I have ever met in my life, but I wanted to come here for some closer and feel like I gave this place a proper goodbye and you’ve helped me do that. If I stay any longer I will feel like I’ve overstayed. Chaz is just looking out for you and I don’t blame him.”

“He’s always like that,” she pipes up, “he’ll get over it.”

I chuckle because she just won’t give it up, “It’s fine, Beth. Really. I need to start working on getting back to the bus station. They’re expecting me in Seattle.”

“At least let me talk Chaz into driving you into town. It is a long walk into town and you shouldn’t have to do that.”

“I guess, maybe I can convince him that I’m not a serial killer before I leave.”