Chapter 30

KELSEY

“Hi, Honey. I’m home.” I chuckled at my own joke, no matter how lame it was that I said it every day when I got home from work. I only continued it because if Beth was home, she’d almost always laugh and reply to me. Like any other day, I could hear her already chuckling in the kitchen.

“You can’t come in here, Kelsey!” She said as I approached the door to the kitchen. I stopped and waited on the other side of the door in the dining room.

“I can’t come into the kitchen? What do you have going on in there, Beth?”

“I’m not doing anything, but my orders are to keep you from coming to this side of the house.”

“Orders?” I laughed, “Who is giving these dumb orders?”

“Me, Princess,” Chaz answered from the kitchen area. “Now stay there until I’m ready for you or else.”

“Or else sounds interesting, can you elaborate?”

Beth started laughing again, but I swore I could hear Chaz growling in disapproval on this side of the house. “Princess, you’ve gotta watch yourself now.”

“Yes, sir.”

I might be towing a line right now, but I knew I would be more than happy being on either side of the line with Chaz. There was no way to truly know what I was getting into when I decided to give myself to Chaz. He was very hot and cold with me from the beginning, but now I know that was just his way of protecting himself and his heart. For somebody who was allergic to feelings, Chaz sure had big ones. People may not be able to recognize the way he shows his lover and affection, but once you’re in his sights, you can feel it.

Since my parents took me away from this town, I haven’t felt a sense of security until I found myself in Chaz Barlow’s house. He didn’t have to take care of me or protect me. He could have let my dad take me back and make me marry Orem, but the stubborn man cared and he showed that through his overzealous protective streak. I give him a hard time, but I’ve never felt safer than I am now in his arms. Under his watchful eye, I can finally be free. I have a job, a temporary one that turned into a full-time position, a safe place to live, a group of friends, and even a car now. None of these things I could have if it weren’t for Chaz.

We were busier than ever lately. I was working with Emory and the Strawberry Fest and Music Festival were just around the corner and our to-do list was getting longer so matter how quickly we crossed off tasks. Chaz’s handyman business picked up as well. Once he completed a few small jobs around the area, his name spread like wildfire. He’s working hard to rebuild the brand that his old business partner destroyed before he moved here. He was even able to re-apply for some of the licenses and bonds to make his one-man show official. I guess it isn’t right to call it a one-man show, Beth has taken on the role of his little secretary, taking all his calls and making sure he stays on a schedule. I love her so much.

I finally gave up on getting into the kitchen and took a seat in the living room to scan through my social media pages. Finally, Chaz waltzed into the room with a smile on his face and a piece of black fabric in his hand. “Are you ready, Princess?”

“Depends on what I’m supposed to be ready for. Can I go into the kitchen now?”

“I was thinking maybe we could go on a little walk instead.”

I rise from the couch and shrug my shoulders, “I’m always up for a walk.”

I proceed to walk past him, but Chaz catches his arm around my waist and pulls me back into him, my back to his front. “Not so fast, Kels,” he said after making a tsk sound. “You need to be dressed for the part first.”