"As expected." I don't elaborate immediately and she doesn't request for me to, either. "I told him I was cutting him off. Said that the only ties binding us together were our blood relations and even that wasn't enough for my loyalty. He has fucked me over in more ways than one with his manipulation tactics. I swear, I have never seen him so angry, and no way for him to channel it anywhere."

Brinley goes quiet before she sighs. "I am proud of you."

Elation smacks me in the face that I try to tamp down and fail miserably when a smile breaks free. I remove my head from the crevice of her chest to look her in the eyes when I say, "Thank you... you have done so much more for me than you will ever know."

A soft smile tugs at her lips and she draws me closer, planting a featherlight soft kiss on my lips. I notice her tilt her head towards the night sky, her eyes glossing over with something angelic and dreamy. She is so enchanting and... heavenly.

"I like the stars," she tells me, her plump lips moving delicately with each word before she tucks her bottom lip beneath her teeth, utterly entranced by the stars like I am with her.

I hum, vaguely recalling her telling me that once. "I think you have told me that before."

"They inspire me, y'know," she whispers. I faintly laugh, nodding my head, remembering her telling me that as well. "They, the stars themselves, don't inspire me, though."

Once more, I hum in response.

"The people who make me curious about the stars motivate me, instead," she tells me, her eyes transfixed on the stars. "It's the one who gave me the courage to look up at the sky and wonder. Wonder what this world had to do to create such a fascinating and pure-hearted despite everything and... enticing person."

A sharp intake of air hits my lungs, filled with the scent of her. "Have you found that person yet?" I ask, having an inkling already of what the answer might be.

She nods, averting her eyes to meet mine. "You."

Three words tease on the tip of my tongue, threatening to fall out. Three words I have never felt the urge to say, yet they feel so fitting for this moment and person. Three words I feel solidify the progression of our relationship.

Which should be a lovely realization. Almost every human on this earth romanticizes the idea of falling in love. Hell, people write songs, create movies, and even fucking books on the concept of loving someone and them loving you back. They fail to display the inevitable ending in some stories. And the only possible ending in this one is with my heart being the one broken because I carry a disease. A disease where I infect every person I love, only for them to be ripped away from me or reveal to me all the wrong ways to be loved.

Even with that knowledge, I don't push Brinley away. I allow myself this one moment to myself because it has been an eternity since I have felt like this. This is my anchorage.

But soon, all the numbness I used to feel; I will fall back onto. All the emptiness I will bear alone because that's all I have ever done. My walls will rebuild and I'll go back to the dead-but-living version of myself.

I recall reading that maybe people feel empty because they leave pieces of themselves in all the people they used to love. And maybe people build protective walls around themselves so they don't lose themselves again.

I left all my pieces in the hands of the wrong people and killed myself because of it. I'll be damned if that happens again.

No matter how much harm that bomb will trigger when it detonates.

Because detonation is inevitable. It always has been and always will be.

———
AUTHORS NOTE

omggg i am back?? and after only two days?? who is this?? lmaoo

anyways, hope you all enjoyed this chapter :) i did edit some of the layout in the introductory chapters and i have published electric love so go check that out :)

we have almost reached 100k reads on this book also 😭 that is insane and words cannot express my unlimited gratitude 🫶🏻

don't usually do this, but if you haven't already, go check out my pinterest @ alluringroses_ and follow if you want :)

until next time...

lots of love,
rose x

lots of love,rose x