1

"Doesn't it bother you?"

"What does?"

"You know that he always sits alone..."

"Not really; why should we?"

I looked at Alfred, annoyed, and he gave me the same face. "Arthur never talks to anyone; I've tried, Matthew has tried, multiple people have tried, so why even bother? It is obvious he doesn't want friends," Alfred spoke. He was right; Arthur never talked to anyone. He would come to work and then go home immediately. It was his first year working for this publisher, but he was young. Twenty-three, to be exact. I was Twenty-six, so not too far from age. He was around the age of just graduated from university. Alfred and Matthew were in the same boat but talked to people.

"Why don't you try?" Matthew asked. I lifted an eyebrow and looked back at Arthur. It was lunch, but Arthur wasn't eating; he sat there reading his book. He never ate lunch either; I assume he is doing a diet. "Hmm, you are right! I will try!" I cheered. I stood up with a smile, and Alfred looked at me, concerned.

I began walking toward Arthur, and without a second thought, I sat beside him. "Hey Arthur, my name is Francis; I don't think we have properly met," I started. I smiled at him, and he began to look up from his book.

He had dark circles under his eyes, and his skin was paler up close than I imagined. His eyes were green, but they were a pale and dull green. His lips looked dull, cracked, and thin as if lacking oxygen. His hair looked rough, with split ends, and honestly, he wasn't that great to look at. He looked tired and miserable, and I wondered if he was depressed.

He looked like shit.

"No," he spoke.

"No?"

He suddenly stood up, grabbed his things, and immediately walked away. I felt too stunned to speak. My jaw dropped, and I ultimately watched as he left the break room. I turned to Matthew and Alfred wide-eyed, and they tried to hold in their laughs. "Okay! I get it! Laugh at me!" I spoke. I stood from my seat and looked at them, annoyed, as they burst out laughing. They were like children.

~
I sat at my desk, watching Arthur from afar. I looked at him, rolled my eyes, and shook my head. IT IS NOT WEIRD! I'm wondering why he does not want to talk to anyone. He focused on his work, and that was pretty much it. "Bro, stop staring; you look creepy," Alfred whispered. "I want to know why he is always alone," I spoke.

"Yeah, why do you care so much? You have never talked to him before, and suddenly you want to?"

"Alfred, Maybe Francis just feels bad?"

"Francis! do you feel bad?"

They both looked at me, and I leaned against my chair. I did feel bad that he was always alone. "Yeah, but I do not know much about him," I explained. "He looks pretty tired right now, but usually a couple of times a month; he comes in looking healthy; maybe try talking to him on days he does not look like shit?" Matthew explained.

What does that mean? He came in looking healthy.

"Oh, right! I have noticed that too! He looks radiant and happy for a few days, then suddenly goes into this slump for a couple of days and comes back feeling refreshed."

That was odd. I do not think I have ever looked at him close enough to be able to notice such a change. I looked back to Arthur, and he began to wipe his face tiredly. I am going to try and talk to him again! I am determined.

~

As the end of the day came, I quickly gathered my things. Arthur moved fast, so I rushed. "I will talk to you both later! Bye!" I called toward Alfred and Matthew. They looked at me, concerned, as I waved to them quickly. I rushed to Arthur and followed him out of the building. As I thought I had lost sight of him, I looked around and saw him down the way. Damn, he moves fast.

"ARTHUR! HEY! WAIT UP!" I called. He stopped to look at me, and I began running toward him. "You again, what do you want?" He asked. "Can I walk with you?" I smiled. He began to glare at me and then continued to walk. "No!"

"WAIT!" I spoke as I began to follow beside him.

"Why are you following me?"

"Please! I want to be acquainted with you."

I began to walk beside him, and he gave me a side-eye. "Why? I have worked with you for a while, and this is the first time you have approached me," He spoke. I laughed nervously at what he said and shrugged. "Well, you are lonely, so I wanted to hang out. Maybe?" I asked. He stopped walking and looked at me, annoyed. "No!"

"Please!"

"Ugh! do you not understand English?"

"I do, but please!"

I looked at him, determined, and he continued looking at me with sad, exhausted eyes. His eyes widened, and I quickly held my hair down. The breeze began to blow, and it caused my hair to fly around. "I must go!" He continued to walk. "Wait! Please! How about you come to my place? We can have tea," I suggested. I was not much of a tea person, but what British person wasn't a tea fan?

"I will think about it. Can you stop following me?" He asked. I jumped at what he said and laughed nervously. "Yes, sorry, I will see you tomorrow," I smiled. I stood in my spot, and slowly a smile crept across my face. He looked at me one last time before nodding and walking away. I began to jump around quietly, and I fist pumped the air. I do not have a plan after he and I become friends, but maybe he will be an excellent addition to our group. I was so excited that I could not contain all these emotions.