Chapter 25: Selflessness

Just when I feel like I can finally say that I accepted what I witness in the laboratory, other concerns that I left at Devin came and hunt me again.

As I am standing in front of Sejin, my mind recalls what he said. He came with news that made me unable to react immediately.

Blazh got appointed in the position and three districts got annihilated.

And the emotion called 'guilt' build up inside me and causes havoc in my system.

I got guilty for staying here and aim peacefulness while the people are suffering. I am driven by selfishness for not thinking of them in those days that I'm here. For not involving myself in the happenings and do something to avoid situations.

"It's not your fault." Red---who's beside me---whispered.

"Lancey, you need to go back." Sejin butt in.

"How are they?" I asked.

His expression remains the same, emotionless. "If you want to know then go back home with me and see it yourself."

I know...in that very moment, that I had to go back indeed. That I have to wake up to reality and face it.

Sejin was beside me the whole ride. None of us uttered a single word. The silence filled the air was suffocating for me. But I have to sink it in that we're not the same as before.

I can't be that heartless after everything I've done.

We stopped by at the forest. We can't pass through the entrance. Being cautious is what keeps me alert all the time. Even outside Devin, I can spot soldiers doing rounds.

Sinundan ko lang si Sejin sa buong pagkakataon. While doing that, I noticed he's acting a little different.

Hanggang makapasok kami sa Devin ay hindi pa rin siya umimik. Una kong napansin ang mga tao na nakaupo sa lupa at puno ng dumi ang katawan, pati mukha. Some of them are even carrying kids or strolling through the trash to see if there's something that can be eaten.

As much as I don't want to suspect, hind nakatakas sa paningin ko ang pasimpleng pagtingin ng ibang tao sa amin. They got the 'on work' look on their faces.

I'm starting to get the visual on what could possible happen. Lalo na nang tuloy-tuloy ang lakad ni Sejin.

I don't want to think of something unpleasant so when were about to turn into a corner, I grab his arm and force him to face me.

Nakita ko kung paano kumunot ang noo niya doon. "Bakit?"

Tumitig ako sa kan'ya at sinusubukang basahin ang kan'yang expresyon pero pagka-irita lang ang nalaman ko.