Chapter 02: The Land of Devin

"Wow, what a sight."

It's chaos everywhere. Unlimited sets of black smoke coming in, grunts from drunk men, fight here and there and very noisy specimens. That's Devin. I am devian but I can't still fully grasp this kind of environment.

This is always the situation every time the sun goes up. Nothing changes and as if that'll happen.

Being in this kind of place is sickening and could even bring trauma to some people who are not used to this. Living here for more than two decades wasn't easy, to be honest. It's survival.

I even think that Devians shares the same mindset. Doing everything in their hands so they could survive even if it means doing something illegal. And the one's at fault is the higher ups. If they care for their people we wouldn't—

I sigh and cut my thoughts. What's the point of thinking that way if nothing's gonna change? It will be useless.

Scumbags, assholes, bastards, morons—name it. They are all just the same. A person like me should care less for dungs.

"Hoy, miss!" Someone whistled at my direction. A drunk man approach me. "Ang ganda mo, ah?"

Pinanatili ko ang walang expresyon kong mukha. Who the f*ck is this? He smells so bad that I might vomit.

Hindi pa rin ako gumalaw kahit nilapit niya ang mukha sa akin. I wanna punch him. He's disgusting.

"Magkano ka?"

I tilt my head to the side. I immediately get what he mean. "Five buckets." Pakikisakay ko sa kan'ya.

He groaned. "Babaan mo naman ang presyo, miss! Masasarapan ka naman."

I silently scoffed. "Why would I?" Tinaasan ko siya ng kilay. "I assume you're not even 7."

"A-anong sabi mo?!"

"You heard me."

Gritting his teeth, his fist raised—ready to hit me. Bago pa man 'yon tumama aa aking mukha ay dumating na si Sejin at pinigilan 'yon. I rolled my eyes and look at other direction while crossing my arms.

Sejin is like shadow. I mean, he's the 'everywhere' kind of guy. Especially when I got into some trouble, he would suddenly show up.

My hand went to my nape and massage it. "Let's just go, Sejin."

He's still looking at the man. "Give me seconds, love."

I bit my inside cheek to prevent myself from smacking his head. When will he stop calling me that?

He's standing a little bit before me. He twisted the man's arm who shouted in pain and kicked his back with force. Tumilapon 'yung lalaki sa mga kasama nitong uminom, dahilan upang matumba ang mesa at mabasag ang mga bote.

He then face me. "Let's go?" Sejin smiled like nothing happened.

I didn't answer and just left the place. I have some business with someone in this street and Sejin offered to go and talk to that man while I wait outside.

Also, that man didn't really do anything to me. So you can say Sejin is overreacting. He's like that and I don't want to admit the reason why.

I went to Devin's twin mountain—climb up to the highest and sat, not minding the dirt. Hindi naman ako mamamatay rito.

Sejin did the same and rested both of his arms on his knees. From where we are sitting, we can clearly have a view of the whole city.

Unlike any other places, our town was shaped hexagon and areas are divided. Villages, squatters, markets, buildings for some purposes—mostly owned by organizations and lastly, the Palace.