The 57th expedition pt 3

Start from the beginning

Oluo: What?

Eld: I think there was a reason the commander couldn't trust us.

Gunther: Like what?

Eld: There's only one reason he wouldn't trust his fellow soldiers. There's someone who can become a Titan or a spy helping them in the Survey Corps.

Eren: Ah...

On the perimeter of the forest. Jean speaks with Armin.

Jean: You think so, too, right? It has to be one of us.

Armin: Yeah. I think so.

In the forest. Levi's squad continues to ruminate.

Gunther: A spy? Is that possible?

Eld: At any rate, the commander is certain. I'd imagine the only soldiers who were told of the plan were those who've stayed alive for the past five years.

Gunther: I see. So that's it.

Oluo: Must be. Understand, Eren? That's why.

Petra: Yeah, if that's the reason, I understand.

Eren: Huh...

Petra: He's assuming that five years ago, when the first wall fell, a spy infiltrated our ranks, and that's how he narrowed down the possibilities.

Eld: Then the spy killed Sawney and Bean?

Petra: Ah... Back then, the commander asked me about that.

Eren: Ah...

Erwin: (Flashback) What do you see? Who do you think the enemy is?

Eren: That's what that question meant?

Eld: If we could've answered it, maybe we could've participated in this plan. I doubt that anyone could've back then, though.

Oluo: I knew. But I didn't say anything. Do you know why?

Petra: Why?

Oluo: Haa... What, you can't tell? Well, I shouldn't expect that much from the likes of you. You have yet to reach my level.

Petra: Hey, are you copying Lance Corporal Levi again? The lance corporal wouldn't say anything like that.

Eren: (Thoughts) If this succeeds, I can get closer to the truth of this world. But... too many died, regardless. Ngh...

Eld: Do you think the commander was wrong?

On the perimeter of the forest. The Titan climbing toward Armin and Jean falls to the ground.

Jean: I can't say he was right. If we'd known there was a Titan informed of our operations, we would've dealt with this in a different way. Your team's squad leader and the others would've, too.

Armin: No, it wasn't wrong.

Jean: What? What wasn't wrong? How many do you think died for no reason?

Armin: Jean, after the fact, it's easy to say, "We should've done something else." However, no one knows how things will turn out. And even so, you have to make a choice. You must.

Jean: Ah...

Armin: The lives of a hundred fellow soldiers, or the lives of all the humans within the walls... The commander made his choice. He chose to let those hundred die.

In the forest. Eld addresses Eren.

Eld: Eren, you don't know it yet, but you will soon... the reason that Erwin Smith is entrusted with humanity's hope, the Survey Corps.