Chapter 17

Sirius had tried to talk you out of going about 9 times.

"Hear me out."

Make that 10 times.

"What?" You snap, walking down the street of Hogsmeade.

"What if... you don't go."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because you're my little sister! I shouldn't let you go on a date with Tom Riddle! Of all people! Why him? I'd almost prefer it if I had learned Remus was cheating on me with you."

"Which I would never." Remus chimes in, "let her go on her date, Sirius."

He scoffs, "I don't wanna. She's too young!"

"I'm 15. Almost 16."

"And?"

"You went on your first date when you were, what? 13? With... who was it again? Kaylee?"

"Merlin. Don't remind me."

"You went out with Kaylee?" Peter asks. "But she's so annoying..."

"I found that out the hard way." Sirius mutters.

You stop walking and turn to him and grab his shoulders. You shake him a lil bit before speaking.

"I'm going on the date. You cannot and will not be even trying to stop me. And if you do, I will hex you. Okay?"

"Fine."

You drop your hands from his shoulders, "wonderful! Now go away." You turn around and head towards where you're meant to meet Tom Riddle.

~~~<>~~~

*T.W. MENTIONS OF SUICIDE AND MURDER*

The date goes well... for the most part.

At some moment during it; you did trip. However, he did catch you.

He's quite nice, very charming, seems to enjoy reading...

And very off.

Something about him is just off.

Perhaps it's the fact he's too perfect and no one is so it must be a facade.

And perhaps he's hiding some very dark secrets.

Or perhaps it's all in your head, though you doubt that option.

You walk on the roads of Hogsmeade with him; heading back to the train to Hogwarts.

Sirius, James, Peter, and Remus would be meeting you at the train. You and James would be informing them of your dates; they had insisted.

You had been surprised that the school had let James go to Hogsmeade, but you had a sneaking suspicion that McGonagall had some input for that one.

"What's your favorite book?" You ask him.

"I am unsure. Many are quite good."

"I agree, but everyone has a preference."

"I'm afraid you wouldn't be as keen towards me if you learned my favorite book."

"What?" You laugh, "is it the dark arts or something?"

And he doesn't reply.

How oddly obvious, something you aren't sure he'd do on purpose; perhaps it was on purpose then. Perhaps he wants you to know such a thing, despite pretending to not.

"Which one?" You ask, simply curious.

And he says the name quietly and you frown.

You nod, "but isn't that in the restricted section?"

"Indeed."

"How ever did you get in there?"

"The teachers all quite like me. A simple smile to Slughorn and he'd let me get away with anything."

And there it is. An imperfection, perhaps. Something, however, he seems to want to hide from most. What made him trust you is what's odd, you're curious as to what it is.

"How helpful." You comment, "Slughorn does seem to be practically in love with you."

A ghost of a smile, "he does, doesn't he? It's quite useful to have people such as he."

"I'd figure."

And you didn't know it yet, but that conversation is what entirely changed your future. Perhaps without it, you'd be in the Order; working for the ministry, even. And yet instead... well, I suppose we'll get there eventually, won't we?

And you didn't know it when you got onto the train, but when you got back; you'd be informed of another attack. Another paralysis.
And then someone else would tell you it was a death; a murder.
And someone else would say it was two students; one of each.
And someone else would say it was a suicide.
And you would fall asleep, confused of which answer was true.

But the following day you would sit in the Great Hall and Dumbledore would inform every student there of the truth; it was a murder.

And you'd meet the eyes of Tom Riddle and see something perhaps you hadn't noticed before, hadn't noticed until now since you knew some of what he hides, a sort of glee undertoned in his calm eyes. A glee that perhaps a murderer would have after a successful kill.

And you didn't know it yet, but soon you'd solve a very special Riddle.