Chapter 8

"I knew it!" You say, a 'shhhh' is the response from the librarian that isn't even near you.

Remus's face is blushed and he seems to be trying to hide in his oversized sweater and behind his book.

"Don't tell anyone, though!" Sirius says, "it's not-" he pauses. "It's not..."

"It's not what, Sirius? All you guys are doing is dating, it's not that big of a deal."

"Well, I guess. Some people don't think it's normal, though."

"Normal? What's not normal?"

Sirius seems confused now. "Liking people who are your gender."

You pause, "but I thought... I thought everyone liked their own gender."

Sirius's mouth parts. "That's not-"

"Everyone just likes everyone... right? Like same gender, opposite gender, all gender..."

"No... that's not a popular thing. Most people just like the opposite gender." Sirius informs you.

"Oh."

"Do you like girls?" Sirius asks.

"Well, yeah. I thought everyone did."

He snorts, "it'd be funny if Regulus were gay, then mother and father would truly have no hope in a bloodline."

~~~<>~~~

The note had come in the morning. The name of a book you need for an assignment. Unfortunately, someone else had said book.

"I need that book." You say simply.

Riddle looks up, perhaps a bit surprised... or a bit annoyed.

He's with his supposed friend group; which includes your brother.

"Whatever for?" He asks.

"History of magic." You say back, "it's for an assignment."

"Can you not get a different book?"

"I need that one." You insist.

He frowns, "I'd like it back when you're finished with it, yes?"

"Yeah, yeah- whatever- sure."

He seems hesitant, but hands you the book all the same. You roll your eyes and walk off.

Perhaps out of spite you'll simply never give him the book back; hide it in some corner of the library he'd never find... skip it under the gate to the restricted section...

~~~<>~~~

Tom Riddle is almost impossible to find when you're actually trying to do so.

Every time you had found him; you hadn't been looking. Now, finally looking on purpose, you can't.

You had gone to the Slytherin common rooms first, asking a Slytherin outside if Tom Riddle were inside.

She had stared at you for a few moments, likely seeing if you were serious, and then said no. You weren't completely sure if she was telling the truth, but had no other way to see.

The library is completely empty in the front; the study area, so you continue your search further back, looking for him in an aisle.

And the first few aisles have a student or two lingering; none are Riddle.

It's the last aisle you finally find him.

The last several aisles are completely empty and you turn to walk back in the other direction, so you can make sure he's not on the other side as well.

Whilst turning, you nearly run into someone; barely stopping yourself before you hit them.

"It's you! Finally!" You say. Riddle stands in front of you now. The two of you are very close; you take a step back. "Sorry." You say.

"What do you need?"

You put the book in front of you, the size of it being the distance now between the both of you.

"Your book."

He takes it and slides it out of your hands.

~~~<>~~~

Perhaps someone asking to meet at an exact aisle of a library was suspicious, but it was Marlene who asked.

17th aisle.

You count as you walk.

1... 2... 3...

You look down every aisle to be safe.

13... 14... 15... 16-

"Y/n!"

"Marlene! Hey."

You can feel a gaze on you, but you assume it's just Marlene.

Marlene pulls you down the aisle of books.

"So what did you want to talk about?" You ask her.

She stops walking and sits down on the floor, patting the space next to her.

You sit down.

"I can trust you, right?"

"Of course." You assure.

"I, uh... I like girls. I don't- I don't like guys."

"Oh." You say. "Okay."

"Okay? That's all?"

"Yeah."

She nods, "okay."

It's silent for a few moments.

"There's something else." She says finally, this time turning to you fully.

You turn as well, you now face each other. "What else?"

She pauses, hesitating.

And despite being so hidden in the library; you could feel a stare as Marlene suddenly moved closer... to take your first kiss, her hands now on either side of your head.

And, alas, you did not even try to stop her.

Her lips are soft.

You weren't sure fully how to kiss someone; having never done it before.

You weren't sure how long you sat there in the library with Marlene.

But you did notice how Tom Riddle glared at her the next day.