Chapter 14

You lay down on the concrete. It's late; 2:00 a.m. Or perhaps, it's early.

Either way; you hadn't slept. And so you went up here to the astronomy tower.

The sky is very beautiful, especially at night. And perhaps if you're here long enough, you may watch the sunrise.

Footsteps break your view from the sky.

You glance to see someone walking up.

You don't bother to hide, not particularly caring about getting a detention for being out so late.

Except, it's Tom Riddle who walks up the steps.

He pauses, "why are you out here? It is 2 in the morning."

"I know. I just like the view."

He doesn't reply, but does walk towards you. He hesitates, but lays next to you.

"I do suppose it is quite nice."

"Why are you out here?"

"Prefect duties, of course."

"Prefect duties don't run this late, Tom."

He simply doesn't reply.

And you ask him a new question; something no one would lie over; his favorite color.

And he informs you it's green, a dark green.

And you question if that's because his house is Slytherin or just because he likes the color.

And he says it is because he likes the color and then asks you your favorite color.

And you tell him.

And he laughs and says that it's quite basic.

And you remind him green is also a basic favorite color.

And conversation continues, so long the sun does begin to rise.

Neither of you had turned to the other, well you hadn't turned to him.

He had been staring at you for quite some time, you just hadn't noticed.

And you finally look at him, turning onto your side.

And then you finally realize how close you two are. And you panic a bit and freeze.

"Do you really fancy James Potter?" He asks suddenly.

"No." You confess.

"Then why did you say so?"

And you debate telling the truth and logic comes to mind. Logistically, not confessing will save you from any embarrassment. However, confessing will give you a possibility.

And perhaps most would go for the set option, but you did love possibility.

"I panicked." You say, "because you were right next to me."

He frowns, "why would me being near you change your answer?"

You sigh, "because I smelled you."

And silence.

You didn't fully regret telling him; it would save you from a greater heartbreak when he rejects you later on and you've developed larger feelings.

This is the better option; no matter how embarrassing and uncomfortable.

And you expect him to leave or inform you he does not like you back.

Instead he speaks, "did you really?" And his voice is quieter than it usually is, and his voice is always quiet. He almost sounds... uncertain, perhaps shocked and perhaps confused.

Maybe even a mix of them.

"Yes."

And he finally reacts, he takes in a breath.

"And what would happen..." he pauses, "if I informed you that I, perhaps, smelled you as well?"

What a cautious way to say it. And you suspect that it's him not wanting to fully say it.

"I do not know." You reply, "there are three options that could happen. We date, we simply kiss and see what that does, or we never speak to one another again. I suppose which option occurs would depend on us. And not to mention that the kiss option could lead to either of the other two options and others as well."

"And which would you wish to happen?"

"I am unsure, but speaking logically; option two would be the smartest one to confirm if there's any attraction at all. It would help decide if we do wish to walk away entirely or to do the exact opposite."

And silence as he stares at you, perhaps lost in thought.

And then suddenly he was closer than before and each millisecond brought him even closer.

And then with your faces perhaps a mere 3 inches apart, he pauses.

And he lightly puts his hand on your cheek before he closes the distance.