Chapter 5

Fourth year

1975

The notes never stopped.

~~~<>~~~

"James!" You shout, "give me back my book!"

His grin widens, "never!"

You lean more over him, reaching for the book you need for your defense against the dark arts assignment.

Before you can fall on top of him, you move back and glare.

"I need it!"

"And I... need to bully you."

You laugh, "how charming, Potter."

He winks, "aren't I?" He finally hands the book to you as Lily Evans walks into the Gryffindor common room.

That's where you were at the moment. Lucky enough for you, James Potter had ditched his other friends. And finally you were not as lonely at Hogwarts.

"You still like her?" You ask, "why won't you just ask her out already?"

"I did. She said no, haven't since."

"When did you ask?"

He frowns, "third year."

"You're in fifth year now James. Ask again, it's been two year. Maybe her mind has changed."

And slowly a grin covers his face, "maybe."

~~~<>~~~

"Your partner for this project will be the person you sit next to." Slughorn says, "if I see any bad behavior it will be detention."

You sat next to someone you didn't know in potions and you frown at the idea of having to work with her.

She turns to you, "Marlene McKinnon." She introduces.

"Y/n Black." You offer.

"Black?" She asks, "Sirius Black's sister?"

You scoff, "I see this will go well."

Her eyes widen, "oh! No I didn't mean it offensively or judge-y or whatever. I was just surprised. You're a year younger than him... why're you in this class?"

"I skipped a year ahead." You say, "would you like to get the ingredients or for me to?"

"So you're a 5th year? I'll get them."

"No. 4th year, I'm only a higher year in potions."

She nods, but doesn't reply and stands up.

The assignment goes well, Marlene is quite nice.

~~~<>~~~

Marlene talks to you several times after the potions assignment.

She's quite nice.

~~~<>~~~

You began an acquaintance with Peter Pettigrew about halfway through the year.

He is quite nice. And a bit stupid, but in that funny silly way.

~~~<>~~~

"Peter!" You snatch the small vial from him. "You can't drink that?"

"What? Why not!? It looks good!" He frowns at the blue liquid in the bottle.

"It's a potions assignment! It's poisonous!"

"Why are you carrying around poison!?"

"Because no one just drinks a random potion they find!"

"I do???"

"Why would you drink random potions??!"

"Because they might be good!" He defends.

You lets your mouth drop, "Or they kill you?!"

"But they might be good." Peter argues back.

~~~<>~~~

The friendship to Remus Lupin came kind of next. Pandora Llewelyn was in the middle of it.

~~~<>~~~

Someone sits at the table across from you.

"Hi?" You ask to him, it's Remus.

He shifts, "it's the only available seat... I can move if you'd like-"

"No, no. It's fine."

And you both read in silence.

This happens a few times.

~~~<>~~~

"You are Y/n Black, yes?" A sweet voice fills the dorm room.

"Yes. And you are?"

"Pandora. It's wonderful to meet you. You have some nargles floating around you head, you know?"

"Nargles?"

"Ghastly little things, they are. I'll help you get rid of them, if you'd like."

"Uhm, sure."

~~~<>~~~

The next time the library wasn't filled.

Remus sat across from you on his own accord.

It's silent for a while.

"Do you fancy Sirius?" You blurt out, noticing their looks and blushes and close proximity.

He coughs, "w-what?"

"Sirius. Sirius Black. Do you fancy him?"

"I- of course not."

He doesn't seem to be a good liar.

"Right. I totally believe you."

And the blush on his cheeks was so noticeable.

~~~<>~~~

"What book are you reading?" He speaks first this time.

And you tell him the name of it.

"I've been wanting to read that, is it good?"

"Very." You say, "I don't think there's another copy, I'm almost finished with it if you want it when I'm done."

"I'd love that, thank you."

~~~<>~~~

Sirius was the last one you became close to.

Well, re-close too.

But it happened slowly.

With his only three friends hanging out with you, he was bound to be dragged along at times.

And at first it was awkward, neither of you speaking to the either and neither wanting to.

But by the end of the year, you had joined the Marauders, whether you were aware or not.

~~~<>~~~

Your oddest acquaintance was the one with the note person.

You and them now sent letters to each other instead. Not full ones usually, but you'd get a letter with a homework answer and you'd send a question back. And then you'd get a note with a response and asking a question. Perhaps another answer.

It was entertaining and you just wished to know who it was.

~~~<>~~~

Your plan was simple; watch for the owl and who it goes to. It's Monday; post day.

You watch as the owl flies above the Slytherin table and drops something by where Tom Riddle is. Perhaps that group then, at least it's so narrowed down.

Said boy catches your eye.

He stares at you and tilts his head ever so slightly.

You dare a small wave.

He doesn't return it.