Chapter 11

You make your way to Slughorns office, wearing simply your school robes; not realizing it's a party.

Walking in was a bit embarrassing; everyone dressed in party wear and you simply in your robes.

And yes still, though you didn't know it then, Tom Riddle thought you looked better than the rest there.

~~~<>~~~

"This is Lily Evans, not sure if you know her; she's a wonderful student just like you. Miss Evans, this is Y/n Black. A 5th year student in my 6th year potions class."

Lily raises an eyebrow, "really? Impressive. It's nice to meet you."

You smile, "you as well. Funny enough, I feel like I already know you with how much I've heard."

She frowns, "well I hope it was all good."

"Oh trust me, it was all very very good."

"I'm curious now."

"I don't blame you, perhaps we could talk about it more over tea at breakfast tomorrow morning?"

"A date?"

You can't help but blush, James didn't lie when he said she's beautiful. "I didn't meant it like that."

She laughs, "it'd be alright if you did. Maybe I would've agreed."

"You're much more flirt than I thought you'd be."

She smiles, "I'll take that as a compliment."

"I'll just... leave." Slughorn mutters and he scurries off.

~~~<>~~~

"Care for a dance? I understand you should be leaving soon."

"Riddle." You greet, "a dance? Oh I'm honored that the Tom Riddle wants to dance with me."

"Is that a yes." He holds out his hand.

You take it, "I suppose."

And very quickly he pulls you close to him, whilst bringing you to the dance floor.

He's very good and dancing, something you hadn't expected with how withdrawn and untouched he seemed.

Never had you seen him dance with a girl or even really look at a girl. Other than, you suppose, when he was apparently stalking you.

You notice how low his hand is on your waist and how cold his other one feels against your own.

"Your hand is cold." You inform him.

"Does that bother you?"

"No."

He tilts his head, something you've realized he does when he's studying something.

What's he studying now? You? How odd.

And then he spins you, away and then fully into his embrace. And for a moment you both sway like that, his arms fully wrapped around you.

It would be... perhaps romantic in another situation.

And perhaps it was in this one, but you didn't notice the way he had been looking at you.

"Merlin, all of you is cold." You say, pulling away to look at him. "Are you sick? Perhaps you should go to Madame Pom-"

"I am not sick." He pauses, "You pulled away, why?"

"What?"

"Just now. You- pulled away from me."

"I have to leave. Prefect duty."

"Right, of course. Perhaps we may dance again another time."

You offer him a smile, "I'd love to."

~~~<>~~~

"Remus, darling, why is there a deer in the common room." You pause. "And a rat... and a dog."

Remus coughs, "well, uh- uh... Well James and- and Sirius... and Peter- they just, uh-"

"Remus, clearly whatever you're about to say is a lie. It's so obvious. What actually is going on?"

He sighs, "okay guys, I can't- I just can't. Just show yourselves."

And slowly the deer started to change, grow and shrink at the same time in different places, changing.

It was so odd.

And then suddenly James Potter stood there.

And next it was the dog turning into Sirius and the rat into Peter.

You sigh, "Merlin. Animagi? Really? Are you at least registered?"

James rubs the back of his neck, "yeah... totally."

You sigh, but then pause. "Show me how."

~~~<>~~~

A mandrake leaf in your mouth. For a month. It was torturous.

But you got lucky. Everything fell into place.

The transformation was painful. But you did it.

You weren't sure what happened, but the next day you woke up in the woods; naked.

~~~<>~~~

James checked on you.

"Are you alright?" James asks, "first transformations are usually pretty painful."

~~~<>~~~

Sirius distracted you.

"Here- I know you're in pain but I hear dancing is totally a fix and-"

"Sirius."

"I'm just saying!"

~~~<>~~~

Peter gave you candy.

"I don't know how much it'll help, but..." he trails off and hands a small basket of candies to you.

~~~<>~~~

And finally, Remus offered you comfort.

He motions for you to lay on his lap and you do so. He opens the story; the story of the three brothers. The one he says is his favorite. The one of The Deathly Hallows.

He begins to read.

~~~<>~~~

You missed several days of classes. James assured you he had done a similar thing.

And finally you went back to them. Potions first.

~~~<>~~~

You sit down in your seat; 5 minutes late.

"Miss Black." Slughorn says, "welcome back! Where were you?"

"Sick." You say.

"I did not get an alert from Madame Pomfrey."

"I did not go to her."

He sighs, "I'll excuse it. Now class..."

"Were you really sick?" Tom asks you quietly, "I thought of sending a note, but... well I suppose I do not know why I did not send a note."

"You didn't have to, but kind of- I was... kind of sick."

"Kind of? What do you mean?"

"I wasn't sick, but I did not feel well."

"I see. Do you," and his hesitation comes back, but he continues, "need anything?"

"I do not, but thank you for offering."

He nods, "inform me if that changes."