Chapter 1

A/n

This is a Tom Riddle fanfiction set in the marauders era so it is Tom in the marauders era. Canonically he is a lot older than them and went to school much earlier, but I changed it for this.

Before Hogwarts

1971

T.w. Mentions of abuse (hitting specifically)

You sit in the living room, quietly. You miss your older brother, Sirius. He had gone to Hogwarts for his first year only a few days ago. Your parents had no doubt he'd be placed in Slytherin and the confirmation would be arriving today.

He hadn't sent any letters to you, but he had only been there a few days so you hadn't really expected one.

You, he, and Regulus were all very close. Best of friends for years through the oddity of your parents. They aren't the nicest, but that's normal. Parents are meant to be strict and lay out a foundation for your life, are they not?

Regulus stares at a book in his hands.

"What are you reading?" You ask him quietly.

He frowns, "I'm not completely sure."

"What?"

"I mean I'm very confused on what this is about."

"Then why are you still reading it?"

"Because I want to figure it out?"

"Well where'd you find it?"

"Some store in Diagon Alley when we went for Sirius."

"But what store?" You rephrase your question.

"Uhh I forgot."

"Reggie-"

"Don't call me that!" He whines.

"Fine!" You reply. You pause for a few moments. "What's the title?"

He pauses and shuts the book to look at the title. "Geometry for beginners."

"What is geometry?"

"How am I meant to know?"

"You're the one reading it!" You reply.

"But I just told you I don't understand it!" He argues.

"Well-"

"Stop your arguing." Your mothers says calmly, but sternly, as she walks into the room.

"Sorry, mother." You both mutter in sync.

"Your brothers letter shall be here soon. I have no doubt in my mind that he shall be a Slytherin and I expect the exact same from both of you."

"Of course, mother." You say.

She grimaces, her attempt at a smile. "Good."

An owl pokes at the window and she straightens her posture and walks to the window to open it. The owl drops a letter in her hand.

"May we give it a treat?" Regulus asks mother.

"I suppose. And some water while you're at it." She says.

Regulus picks up the owl excitedly and grabs some owl treats from a cupboard. You grab the treats from his hand and he silently glares at you, not daring to argue in fear of your mother.

You open the bag and point it to him, he grabs one.

"Your father won't be able to get home until late tonight. I shall inform him of the results when he does."

This wasn't a replying statement. You weren't meant to reply. And neither of you do reply as you and he give the owl treats and water.

And then you hear a glass drop to the ground and shatter on the floor.

You both hurriedly turn to your mother as she stares at the open letter in her hand.

Regulus looks at you, both of you confused, both too scared to ask.

You dare it, "what is it, mother?"

She looks away from the letter and towards the both of you.

Her face holds a still expression, and to most perhaps she would look calm.

But the look in her eyes shows something completely different.

"Sirius has disgraced this family." She says. Her jaw tightens, but she forces her face back to that calmer look. "Neither of you are to speak to him when he returns, you shall not be tainted by him."

You gulp, "I do not mean to, uh- to be rude, but... but what happened? What has he done?"

"Do not stutter." She says, you nod. "He has been placed in," she pauses, looking disgusted, "Gryffindor."

You suck in a breath and can see Regulus freeze out of the corner of your eye.

"Neither of you are to do such a disgusting thing as he has, is that understood? Gryffindor house is a disgrace and the other two, though not as bad, are also such. Slytherin is the only house that is fit for true Black heirs. That is what you both are, yes? True to our blood?"

"Of course, mother." Regulus says.

You reply after him. "Yes, mother."

She nods, "very good." She begins to walk away, but you test your luck once again that day.

"Mother!" You say, a bit too loudly.

She stops and turns around, looking down at you with a frown, but before she can say anything- you do.

"I apologize." You say quieter now, "I won't speak so loudly again."

She gives a satisfied look, "very good. Continue."

"What will happen to him? Sirius, I mean. What will happen to him when he returns."

She takes a breath, "you have no need to worry about that. It is not your concern. You will be better. It does not matter what he is."

You nod, "of course, mother."

"Very good. That is enough questions." And that is the end of it. She walks off.

~~~<>~~~

Sirius Black returned home almost a year later. You and Regulus did not dare to speak to him, especially not in front of your mother. Not even when you would hear him cry at night in his room or beg your father to stop as he hit him.

However, a few times you would call upon Kreacher and beg him quietly to go check on Sirius, but not tell your parents. And every time he would agree.

And only once did you dare to sneak out of your room at night, in the middle of summer. It was so very late, but you could not sleep. And you had lightly woken your brother up. He had stared at you and you had hugged him, whispering a beg for forgiveness of what you had not done. Because you hadn't done anything. He had hugged you back and you had both silently cried. He hadn't said it was okay, it was not. But the return of a hug was enough to know that he did not blame you, just your parents.