CHAPTER 54: COME BACK TO ME

CHAPTER 54
COME BACK TO ME

+

Cameron dreamt of her again as he stood in that drab, grayscale hallway of Penrose State Hospital. Her voice in the distance called out his name, called out his brothers' name, resounding in the desolate corridor, rippling on the walls and on the floor lengths, as he marched in the quest to try to find where it emanated from. He opened the first door he could find, but the room was empty, so was the one across from it, and next to it, and beside it, until he reached the familiar office of Dr. Singh.

He barged inside but still could not see her anywhere, so he stepped out into the hallway again, looking behind him to see if he had missed a door. She was here somehow, but he couldn't see her. He gazed forward and began picking up his pace; he was panting but he couldn't miss any second just to catch his breath. At the end of the corridor where the paths breached into two, shadows in the distance flitted in his peripheral visions and he snapped his head to the left to find Nicholas' figure kicking down a door and storming inside, while on his right was Victor, jimmying his body against a locked door and bursting into it as he managed to tear it down.

Her voice was fading now and the thoughts reeled in his mind. If they were all here, then no one was checking up on the other side of the building, the stricter part where they used to keep her. Perhaps, they had returned her there. Perhaps, it was not too late.

He turned around and ran back to where he came from.

Wait, please, don't leave.

Don't leave.

Come back.

Come back to me.

+

"Dreamers
They never learn
Beyond the point
Of no return
Then it's too late
The damage is done."

- Radiohead