CHAPTER 48: BLUE FADES TO YELLOW

CHAPTER 48
BLUE FADES TO YELLOW

+

He couldn't imagine ever coming back here again after that shooting incident and the encounter with Michael Lee who now made it his ultimate mission in life to deliver his sister to her Creator just as she did with his family. He felt like looking over his shoulders every time. He felt like either having the need to explain himself to each and everybody that he passed, or just shrivel up in the middle of the crowds in the city that had so many things in store to break him apart, but the constant thoughts of his sister on the forefront of his mind and the presence of Nova that led him through the airport with her chin held high was enough to push him to keep moving if he didn't want to get left behind.

Victor offered to drive this time; he could use the preoccupation, though he still couldn't stop his thoughts from reeling. What if by coming here, they would only inflict a deleterious effect on everyone? Maybe he wouldn't care if those shooters were coming back for him, but what if they harm Nova and Det. Cantrell and his relatives? But if he didn't show up, did that mean that his sister's fate was sealed? Could they really rely on the optimistic possibility that Det. Cantrell had it in his goodwill to help them when he had asserted lucidly to Nova that he didn't want to take part in any of this?

"I don't think we should show up directly at his place," he finally voiced out his concern as they began to close in on the city of Carlo that had grown even more bustling than he could recall. Life would continue to flow heedless if one's world was ending at some point.

"Yeah, we'll wait and see if he will go out," agreed Nova as Victor slowed down on the red light that glowed overhead.

"Wait," she perked up suddenly, pointing at a rusty brown truck that was parked in front of a floral shop a short distance after the intersection. "We're lucky. That's his car."

He wasted no time stepping on the gas and pulled over the car next to the sidewalk, exiting with a mix of caution and determination brewing in his senses that caused his stomach to churn. He followed Nova as she walked up to a tall man in a gray jacket and silvery hair, hovering in front of the assortment of variegated flowers on the rows of stands.

"Mr. Cantrell," she accosted him with equal eagerness and circumspection.

The man whipped up to her and his whole complacent demeanor changed almost immediately. His sharp eyes narrowed at her and his lips stiffened in disapproval. "You should not be here."

He sidestepped her, but before he could get far, Victor showed up in front of him. "Detective Cantrell."

He gazed up at him, his disgruntled countenance didn't alter as recognition denied him, discerning only a possible threat and intimidation from the tattooed, muscular man in front of him. "Get away from me."

Victor stood his ground, his resolution found a firm soil to latch its root into. The destiny of his sister might be on this man's hand now and he was resolved to not let him go so easily. He would beg him if he had to. "I'm Victor. Victor Crane. Do you remember me? I'm the boy that you helped that night. You taught me to play UNO while Detective Hernandez tried to ask me about what happened."

A sense of familiarity washed over him then, his taut expression slackened, but his guards remained persevering.

"Sir, I need your help. It's my sister," he entreated.

"I can't help you with anything." He shook his head tenaciously as he tried to march away from the scene again, but Victor followed him in his own persistence.

"Miranda Lee. She killed her in self-defense and now she's facing capital punishment. I can't–I can't lose her."

He halted and turned around. He couldn't even try to mask the horror on his features upon hearing the news. "What did you say?"