CHAPTER 38: THE PINIONING

CHAPTER 38
THE PINIONING

+

Nova fortified herself when she made her way across the cemetery from where she parked her car outside the gate. At this time of the year, the place couldn't be more desolate than ever, but the dead still waited for someone who cared to sweep away the yellowing leaves and fragmented branches that cluttered their deathbeds; they longed for someone who could pronounce their forgotten names once again from the inscription in their tombs, so that they would at last, be consoled.

"Daniella Maria Hernandez, is this where she was laid to rest?" Nova gave a voice to her reflection as she approached the old man who was kneeling next to a grave, a mound of turf with frosted tips.

"I told you to go away," Mr. Cantrell rebuked, but didn't turn around to face her.

"Mr. Cantrell, I'm sorry for coming up to you so forcefully yesterday. Trust me, I'm not some kind of a reporter or a crime writer. I have known Cameron Crane for years now, but I only just found out that he has this tragic history in his family when Nicholas Crane appealed to me to try to find out what was wrong with him. Why did he retire while he was on top of his career? Why did he shut himself from his brothers and move away to God knows where? From then on, I discovered that he has a sister, Clementine. I couldn't understand why Cameron would ever think of taking her and risking his relationship with his brothers, so I tried to do my own research and I found many questionable details, the same one that you and Det. Hernandez had been asking fifteen years ago.

"Now while I still don't know what Cameron's motivations are and I can't ask him because I have taken some traitorous actions behind his back while I collected the information for his brother, I believe I can help him find the answer as to what really happened that night, if that is what he is looking for."

Nova inhaled a deep breath after she finished her spiel, unsure if it would even sway the unflinching old man, but she had given it her all and she spoke only the truth from the deepest part of her heart after she had come to terms with the fact that her concern was far exceeding the professional boundary that she had drew for herself when it came to Cameron.

Even then, her own doubt of herself began to nag her conscience. Was she doing this to gain back Cameron's favor of her or was she doing it solely to help him?

Just when she thought that she was going to have to surrender to the fact that he was never going to relent to her, he spoke up, "How are they?"

Nova couldn't help the small smile that broke out on her lips. "Good. They are very successful in their own way. Maybe you've heard of Nicholas and Cameron's name here and there."

"And Victor, how's that boy?"

She believed that there was something about them that left a lasting impact on him, especially Victor, considering the unfortunate disposition that befallen him.

"That boy is a doctor now at twenty five." Somehow, joy bloomed in her heart when she talked about his achievement. "He just finished med school a month ago. Nicholas threw a party for him at his club in Las Vegas. You know how it is."

Mr. Cantrell responded with a light hum and silence stretched between them for a few minutes before he gathered to his feet and tucked his hands in his pockets. "It's not that I don't want to tell you anything, but it's just far too dangerous. You don't know what it is that you're going against by just asking those questions."

He turned away and began to trace the overgrown path and Nova strode to catch up to him. Those ominous warnings could've deterred her, but she found her body moved in their own volition, stoked by flaming determination. There was no turning back now.