****

The distance between the police housing compound and the offices was less than a few hundred meters away. A few minutes later, Monami entered Sid’s office.

Sid gave her a glass of water. His bright eyes were looking at her. A lot of the ladies working in the police station considered him an attractive man.  

He did not say a word.  Monami didn't speak to him either. She sipped the water he gave her.  The atmosphere was a little awkward.  Finally, he asks the question that really bothered him: “Is Karan wooing you?”

Monami almost choked: "Tu pagal ho gaya hain? Criminals k peeche bhaagte bhaagte dimag chhod ke aa gya? Yeh bilkul bhi bakwas hain."

Sid looked at her.  He knew she was telling the truth. He mumbled to himself: "maana ki tu smart hain but duniya me top 1% me bhi nahi hain.."

Monami was slightly offended.  He continued: “Agar woh tujhe court nahi kar raha, toh woh tujhe apna assistant banane k liye itna insist kyon kar raha tha?"

Monami was shocked: "What assistant?"

Sid answered: “His assistant for the investigation, of course.”

Monami was slightly confused: “The case information needs to be translated into any language?"

 “No, the case is about the missing teenagers. Usme Kuch translation ki need nahi hain."

Monami waa even more confused.  Clearly, Sid was not joking. "Par main kyon?" Aree main toh police force me bhi nahi hoon..phir kyon?"

****

A few hours ago.

After a brief chat with the chief, Karan agreed to take on the case and assist the police to find the kidnapper. But he has one condition, he wanted Monami  to be his assistant.  

He didn’t care that Monami is not part of the police force.  It was not his problem.  It’s the chief’s responsibility to see that his requests are met.  As Sid was a good friend of Monami, the task of persuading her to join the operation fell on his shoulder.

 Sid's initial plan was to volunteer his service to Karan. To be his assistant.  Before he met Karan, he thought Karan would be an older gentleman.  He was surprised to find that Karan is about the same age as himself.    

Karan was sitting on the couch reading the newspaper  in the police conference room.  Without even lifting his head, he answered: “Thanks for volunteering, par main tumhe nahi janta..so I am not interested."

*****

That’s why Sid was behaving in such a strange way.  He wanted to learn under Karan but was refused. 

Sid : "tu kyon..tu hi kyon Kamini" 

Monami: "Mujhe kya maloom.. tujhe puchna hain toh usse puch."

Sid:  “humari policy hain ki hum civilians ko humari investigation me allow nahi karte hain.. par Professor Shergill ko national award Mila hua as well unhe one of the honorable public security ki high ranking position se samaanit ki gya h woh bhi PM se..  and Since it’s the request of Mr. Shergill, we will make an exception. par, haan yeh bhi h ki yeh tere upar hain tu yeh post accept kare ya nahi.."

Monami thought for a while.  She shook her head: "Mujhe pehle Mr. Shergill se baat karni hain.. I have a few queries about the post.”

Sid nodded: "He just left our office.  He should be back at the villa soon.”