Chapter 1: Demon in Shining Armor

A Resort in Thailand. Friday morning, November 24, 2006.

"How was your Thanksgiving?" Peter asked.

Neal winked at Sara. "How would you describe it?"

She sighed softly into the phone. "We spent the evening on a bioluminescent beach. Just us, the ocean, and the stars."

"I hope the other guests didn't cramp your style," Elizabeth teased.

Neal grinned. "That wasn't a problem. We could walk from our pavilion to a private area on the beach." He and Sara were relaxing after breakfast on their outside terrace overlooking the ocean. It was the morning after Thanksgiving for them, but in New York it was Thanksgiving evening. He and Sara had spent the morning calling their relatives. Henry and Eric were spending the holiday with Eric's family. Noelle and Joe were hosting Thanksgiving dinner for her parents in Baltimore. Peter and Elizabeth were in Albany with his parents.

"Last year you were in France," Peter noted. "This year Thailand. How will you top it next year?"

"We're already planning next year's event," Neal revealed and nodded at Sara.

"We'd like to host Thanksgiving in New York for everyone who wishes to attend," she said. "The more the better, since I'm secure in the knowledge I won't be the chef."

"And we both love big parties," Neal added. "We already know Noelle and Joe will drive up with her parents. If you're not going to Albany, we'd love to have you as well. Betty and Luke are very welcome too."

"We're counting on the renovations being complete well before then," Sara added. "And there is hope on that front. Mozzie hasn't mentioned making any last-minute additions recently."

"We wouldn't miss the event," El said. "I'm already putting it on our calendar. When will you return to New York?"

"We'll fly back on Saturday," Neal said. "Later today, we're relocating to Bangkok where we'll spend our last night. After our return, we have only one trip on the horizon, and that barely counts."

"Chloe is having a book-signing reception in New Haven next Wednesday evening," Sara explained. "Her new novel Monkshood by Moonlight was just published and we promised we'd attend."

"I wish I didn't have an event that evening," Elizabeth said. "I'd love to go too."

"You'll have a chance in early December," Neal said. "Chloe's publisher has arranged for a book signing at a bookstore in lower Manhattan."

Dean and Sam Winchester had attended the wedding with their girlfriends Chloe and Maia. Bobby had been there as well. Even Crowley was present in disguise. Maia had confided that she considered Neal and Sara to be members of her clan. She'd even adopted Peter and El. Neal sympathized with Maia. She'd never known her real parents. Her only sister had been possessed by the ancient Greek goddess Astrena. But last year Maia discovered that her best friend Chloe was a distant cousin. Since then she'd forged new connections with her friends.

Like Maia, Sara had very few relatives, but now she was a member of the Burke and Caffrey families. Until a few years ago, Neal had been estranged from most of his blood relations. Those family ties were now tugging at him and Sara to return home.

The Mystery Mansion, New Haven. Thanksgiving Day.

Sam stares horrified at the inferno. The mansion is engulfed in flames. He can hear Maia's screams. In his mind, he pictures her cowering under a blanket with Tatyana, encircled by a wall of fire.

He struggles to break free from Dean's grip. "I know they're still alive! I have to go to them!"

Dean tightens his hold. "Listen to me, Sam. The house is already imploding. It's too late to save anyone." He drags Sam further down the sidewalk and backs him against a tree. "I can't lose you too."