Ch. 97: Stir Fry

I sit in my classroom, my phone right by me as I check it constantly. Stiles is getting tests done all afternoon, the same that I remember Claudia going through when I was a teenager. I was given the job of watching after Stiles when she was in the hospital, so he didn't have to constantly be up there.

I get off in about a half an hour, meaning that I have to pick up the kids and take them home. As the minutes pass, checking my phone and grading as the students wait for the bell to ring.

When it does, everybody in the room stands in unison. I pack up my stuff as fast as I can as the kids vacate my room as fast as a robber leaves a bank when they hear Batman's on the way.

I rush out of the school and towards my car before I start it up and drive off.

——

Once I get the kids home where they can finish their homework before we all eat dinner. Ms. Pearl should be back tomorrow, meaning that I will be picking her up in the morning. After we finish dinner, I pack up all the leftovers for the group at the hospital.

We all pile into the car again, heading towards the only place where everyone is. As we pull up to the hospital, I see Kira standing outside of Derek's car. I look at her in confusion as she stares at me, the kids and I hopping out and heading towards the door.

As we walk in, I see Jasper feeling out papers at a desk. I walk up, throwing on a forced smile as he sees me. I look around as he gives me his full attention.

"Do you know where they're testing Stiles?"

"Uhhh...yes?"

He looks at a chart that's on the wall, labeled Stilinski. He reads it over before looking up at me with a worried look. I wait patiently for him to tell me where as Nia and Angel stand beside me. He finally hands me a piece of paper with directions scribbled on one side.

"Thanks..."

I walk off, the kids on my tails as we move through the hospital walls. We finally get to the right department, passing by multiple staff members as other patients as we walk down the halls. I scrunch up my brow as I hear two familiar voices talking on the hall coming up.

"You know stuff you were telling me about chemo signals earlier? It reminded me of the time you tried to teach me to use anger to control the shift..."

"I think you ended up teaching me more about that..."

I smirk as I silently continue towards them, keeping my ears out for anything else they might say. Nia is on my right as Angel sticks to my left, both following my every move.

"You teaching me again?"

"Think of it as sharing a few trade secrets...."

I stay where I am, listening in as the kids look up at me in confusion.

"You know I took Cora back to South America, right? It's where she spent most of her time after the fire...."

I peek around the corner, seeing both sitting across from each other while Derek rubs his hands together.  He only does that when he's nervous....

"But that's not the only reason I left..." I narrow my eyes, waiting for the deciding factor on if he's allowed to sleep next to me tonight. "I needed to talk to my mother..."

Okay...I'm a bitch...

I go to step away when I hear my name coming from Scott.

"Your dead mother? Does Ana know?"

"No. I haven't told her yet...but my mother told me something that changed my perspective...on a lot of things..." he stares off into space as he speaks, telling Scott what he didn't want to tell me. "She said my family didn't just live in beacon hills, they protected it. This town needs someone to protect it...someone like you..."

I look away, thinking off all the people my brother and I have saved ever since I came back and he was bit. I guess being protectors runs in our blood...

"And someone like you to teach me a few trade secrets..."

I smile as I watch two of the most important people in my life have a heart to heart. Nia tugs on my pants, alerting me that they are still here. I smile down at them as I put a finger up to my lips, telling them to stay quiet.

I move forward, a big smile on my face as I walk up to them. They both look up, confusion on their faces as they see me. Nia skips beside me as Angel walks silently with his hands behind his back.

"That was a sweet moment.."

"What're you doing here?"

Scott asks as I sit beside him, look at Derek with a smirk while I hold out the container of food.

"You want any? Angel and Nia helped me make it..."

"What is it?"

"Stir fry and rice...I found a recipe in one of the old bestiaries..."

"What bestiaries?"

Both ask me at the same time, causing me to look at them in confusion before realizing my mistake.

"Oh yeah! Neither one of you knew about them...I have over fifty bestiaries that I collected in my travels. Peter and Cora helped me transfer all of them onto my laptop so I can find the information I need quicker. There was a recipe book mixed in that was over a hundred years old and from a family that came over from Asia."

"Wow...didn't realize that Peter was capable of helping anyone..."

I smile at my brother, amused by his sentence. Derek does the same, looking at me as I look back over at the kids as they look at a vending machine. Derek pulls out a five, asking me with his eyes before he gives it to the kids.

They look at me as I nod, watching them both rush over to the vending machine with large smiles on both of their faces. My own goes serious as I turn back to the two males with me, still keeping an eye on the kids as I speak.

"Have either of you found out anything else?"

"Uh..." Derek rubs the back of his neck, looking down as he speaks. "I found out what jump-started the power-hungry trickster crouching in Stiles..."

"What?"

"Kira..."

I look down, taking in the information as I slowly start to nod. I glance at the kids again before meeting both Scott and Derek's eyes. They both are waiting for my reaction as they fiddle with their hands.

"That makes sense...I can't believe we didn't see it before..." I stand up, grabbing Scott's jacket before I hand it to him. "Where did he go when he was here?"

Something seems to click in Scott's brain as stands, looking at nothing in particular as his whole face changes. He look at me in worry as he answers my question, Derek standing as well.

"The roof..."

"What was he doing up there?"

"He was trying to protect us...Stiles was protecting us!?"

I turn fully towards my brother, giving him my full attention as I comprehend what he just said. Nia and Angel both walk back up to me with a different kind of chocolate in their hands. Derek looks at me before turning back to Scott, a knowing look on his face.

"From himself..."

I cover my mouth as I look at the floor, taking in the information as Scott and Derek both rush off. I feel a quick kiss on my cheek as the later rushes by, patting both kids' heads as he does. I move to follow them, holding both children close as we move towards the stairwell.

——

A/N

I am so, so, so sorry for not updating for a bit...I could not focus on this story for the life of me....

I hate writers block....

Anyways...

Drink water, my loves!!!!!!

Love
-a Sincerely Apologetic Author