Ch. 30: Scream

It's just past 5:15, the sun no where to be seen as I quietly get ready.

I decided to get up early before the kids and go for a run. I haven't done so in awhile, due to my recent schedule. I get ready, deciding on less clothes as I will be running in a body that doesn't get as cold as it is.

I check on the kids one last time before I walk out into the living room, still seeing Ms. Pearl asleep on my comfy couch. She fell asleep here last night, after a long night of watching Disney movies with the kids.

I write a quick note, letting any who can read know that I went on a quick run and that I would be back in less than an hour. I slip out the door and head for the closest trail.

——

I have my headphones in, listening to my iPod as I run through the trees. I can still hear everything around me, the birds and the leaves as the wind blows by. I get lost in everything as I push myself to go faster.

I start to think of the stress of having two orphaned children in my care, about how much grief they've went through as I continue to push myself to the limit. I miss step, slipping down a hill and into a pond. I get up, cursing as I pull out my soaked iPod. I hear footsteps following me, rushed as if in worry.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. I'm okay." I exhale as I stand, seeing a raggedy face and wild hair. "I just fell."

I brush myself off as I look at the unknown man before me. A gust of wind sends a strong stench of an omega into me. I look at the man again, seeing his jumpy eyes flying around us as he fiddles with his hands.

"What're you doing out here?"

"Running the trails...." I brush him off as I turn to leave. "That's what they're here for..."

I grip my fists tight as I take off, jogging away from him with the hope that he doesn't follow me. I can hold my own in a fight, but the fear still grips me as I constantly glance around me. I hear rushed footsteps following me as I rush down the trail. I pick up my steps, pushing myself to run faster as I feel them gaining on me.

I see a tree up ahead, one wide enough to hide behind, and slow to a stop. I jump behind the tree and pull out my hidden knife from my shoe. I catch my breath as I feel my heartbeat in my ears. Glancing around me, I listen out for any footsteps. Birds chirp and leaves rustle as I slow my heart rate, calming myself down as much as possible as I await my demise.

Suddenly, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I flip around, swinging my knife towards my attacker.

"Hey...hey! It's just me! It's just me!"

"Derek?!"

"Yeah...."

I drop my knife as I punch his arm, not hard, just enough to get his attention as I growl out.

"What the hell are you doing!? You scared the shit out of me!?"

"Sorry...I just saw you jogging and thought it would be funny..."

"Funny?!" I yell. "Why would that be funny?!"

I'm beyond frustrated at him right now....

"You know what...leave me alone. Don't talk to me. Don't do whatever you were trying to do. I can't handle it right now."

I take off running, leaving him behind as I rush to get home.

——

I jump awake, hearing a bloodcurdling scream as I look around me, making sure that the kids are okay. A bowl of popcorn falls to the floor as I look at the tv, seeing the main menu of the Scooby Doo movie playing over and over again. Angel is curled up in a ball on the floor, a pillow under his head and a blanket over him. Nia is next to me with her head on my thigh as she grumbles, angered by my movements.

I gently move her onto the couch as I stand, moving to clean up the mess I just made. I rub my eyes as I grab a broom, silently walking back to the living room as I yawn. I grab the bowl, setting it on the table as I sweep up the popcorn. As I walk to the trash can, the dustpan full of popcorn in my hand, I hear a small voice behind me.

"Was that a scream?"

I turn to Angel, putting the finger on my other hand up to my lips, telling him to be quiet before pointing to Nia. He nods as I turn back to sun the pan. I hear him stand and make his way to me as I put the broom and dustpan away.

I go grab the bowl as I silently tell him to grab the pillow and blanket off the ground. He does while looking at Nia, making sure that she stays asleep. He's really taken to being her protector for her. Always watching out for her and checking to see that she's okay, like a considerate older brother.

I check the time, seeing that it's just past midnight. Both kids return to school tomorrow as I go back to work. I prep my coffee machine before walk to the couch and gently picking up Nia. I walk to the kids room, Angel behind me as I lay the sleeping child down in her bed. I cover her up as Angel gets in bed. I blow him a kiss before disappearing into my own room, preparing for bed.

As I go to lay down, I see the necklace stiles returned to me laying on my bedside table. I stare at it as memories flash in my mind.

No. Not tonight. Go to sleep.

I scold myself before laying down completely, setting my alarm and getting comfortable before closing my eyes.

——

A/N

Start to season two!!!!

I'm excited!

Drink water!?!!!!!!?!!!!!!

Love
-the author