Ch. 15: Ratatouille

I wake up on the couch, in my clothes from yesterday, and with a throw blanket over my upper body. I can smell something cooking and the sound of laughter. I get up, walking to the kitchen in a confused state.

"Good morning, dear-y! Sorry if I intruded, but I had everything to make my famous flap-jacks and I thought...'why let it go to waste?'"

I giggle as I see Angel in an apron, standing on a stool and flipping pan-cakes. I smile at Ms. Pearl as I step into the room.

"No worries Ms. Pearl...I appreciate it." I grab a mug and look back at Ms. Pearl. "Is there any coffee?"

"Yes. Right here. She hands me an already made cup of coffee, a smile on her face."

I smile and put the mug back in the cabinet before grabbing it from her. I see my center bar covered in different fruits and berries, honey and syrup. I also see a deal of whipped cream.

This is going to be good...

"Why didn't you wake me? I could've helped.."

"Nonsense. I could tell you were tired the moment I saw you sleeping on the couch. Besides! Angel was awake and willing to help!" She pinches his cheek as he smiles.

I cover up a laugh as I smile at them. I put on an apron, tying up my hair. I was my hands before I turn and look at Ms. Pearl.

"What can I do?" I smile

"Could you cut up the fruit? I didn't want Angel to do it and I haven't had the chance..."

"Of course!"

I grab a knife and get to work, rinsing off the fruit before cutting it up.

——

I'm walking into the hospital, a container of Ms. Pearls homemade Ratatouille in my hands. Her family's French and English, her parents being from Europe before moving to America.

She insisted that I take my mom some while she was at work, knowing how it was to be a nurse. Angel was taking a nap and Ms. Pearl was watching an old show on my tv when I left, carrying the food se brought up from her apartment.

Ms. Pearl's been cooking a lot lately, bringing us the leftovers or showing Angel how to cook something. If I didn't know any better, she's pushing to become his stand in grandmother.

I walk into the hospital, heading for the desk my mom usually is at. I pass a group of patients waiting to see a doctor as I head for the desk. A nurse with dark red hair stops me, a stern look on her face.

"What're you doing here?! Visiting hours are over?! And there's no food allowed in the emergency room!?"

"Uh-sorry...I'm look for my mom..she works here. I'm bringing her dinner."

"I don't care-"

"I've got this, Karen." A familiar voice cuts her off, drawing both of our attention to them.

"Dr. Griffin! I was just telling her the rules-"

"I'm aware. Continue working on those papers."

"Yes, sir." She walks away after that.

"So a doctor, huh?" I smirk as I look at him.

"Yeah. I like to save lives."

He smirks as he puffs out his chest a little. I shake my head as I laugh under my breath. He smiles as he catches my amusement.

"So who are you looking for?" He crosses his arms as he smiles.

"Nurse McCall..."

"Oh! Is she your sister?"

I bust out laughing at his words, shaking my head again.

"No, she's my mom."

"Oh! Wow! I would not have guessed...I feel stupid now."

"Oh! Don't! Out of the two of us, you're the one wearing a lab coat." I smirk before I see my mom behind him, coming out of a room looking at a chart. "Excuse me."

I smile before stepping around him, heading for my mom who has yet to notice me. She goes to the desk, setting the chart down and look at the other nurse there, asking him a question.

"Mom!" I call out, walking to her with my smile still intact.

She looks up, a smile on her face.

"Is my beautiful, talented, intelligent, kindhearted, amazing daughter bringing me dinner?"

"You know it!" I laugh as she hugs me. "It's homemade Ratatouille."

"Did you make it?" She gives me surprised look.

"No. Ms. Pearl did."

"I've got to meet this Ms. Pearl..." I takes the container, looking at it. "This is enough for two people?"

"Yeah! I was wondering if we could eat together, catch up?"

"I wish I could but I've got patients I have to check on..."

"Don't worry about that, Melissa. I've got it taken care of."

We both turn to look at Jasper, who is leaning against the desk beside us. I give him a confused look as he smiles at me.

"Are you sure, Dr. Griffin? Aren't you busy enough?"

"My shift ended ten minutes ago. I can take care of it and still make it home before midnight."

"What about your son?" I ask as I look at him.

"At his mother's." He answers, a smirk on his face.

"Well! I appreciate it, Dr. Griffin. I'll be sure to pay you back later."

"No need." He continues to look at me as he speaks.

"Thank you. Let's go, mom" I smile before hooking my arm with hers, walking away.

——

"What was that about?"

"Huh?" I look up from my food, looking at my mom.

"What was that? Dr. Hot but only focused on work Griffin was checking you out. And what was all the eye contact about?" She laughs as she looks at me.

"Angel is friends with his son, Jack." I shrug, giggling at her words.

"That was more, than a 'our kids are friends' look, okay?" She shakes her head as she takes another bite.

"I know..." I say as I smile. It's been years since I've had any form of relationship, the last not ending very well. "He is cute."

"Yeah. Sure." My mom laughs as she looks at me.

"Do you want to know what he said before you walked in?"

She stops eating, looking at me.

"He asked if you were my sister...he didn't think you were my mom.."

"Wow! That's the best complement I've got in a while!" She puffs up her curls as she smirks.

"46 has never looked better!" I say

"Shut-up!" She pushes me as we both laugh.

——

A/N

Next one will be back on track with the show, I promise!

Drink water!!!!!!!!!!!

Love
-the Author