Hope I Haven't Been Too Much Of A Lousy Date

A/N This is Malec's first date! Hope you enjoy!

Magnus was patiently awaiting Alexander Lightwood to turn up at his doorstep for their date. He was already ten minutes late, and Magnus was hoping he hadn't lost the battle with his nerves.

When twenty mintutes were past the said time of half past seven, Magnus was going to change himself from the flamboyant red flannel shirt and a black linen coat into a simple woolen sweater when his doorbell rang.

"Yes?" Magnus called down, saving his iconic line just in case it was Alec. 

"Sorry, it's me!" Alec's voice said anxiously, "Alec Lightwood."

Magnus opened the door, and Alec stood there, black (nearly grey) jeans, and a grey hoodie that seemed fairly new. He'd also used cologne and Magnus was touched that Alec had put in some effort.

"Hello, Alexander," Magnus smiled and gestured for the Shadowhunter to follow him inside. Alec unsurely sat down on the sofa, glancing around the loft, taking in a little stone Magnus had put in a glassed shelf.

"That's pretty," Alec commented as Magnus sat down opposite him.

"It's amethyst," Magnus explained, "A friend bought it for me, said I could use it in a necklace, but I've just found it better to simply have on display."

"Huh," Alec considered, "You like gemstones then?" 

"Just pretty things in general," Magnus said vaguely, "Tuxedos, gemstones... You."

"You think I'm pretty?" Alec asked, astounded.

"Of course I do," Magnus said, "Couldn't you tell by the way I was ogling you at the club? Or the fact we're going on a date?"

Alec shrugged. "No one notices me. It's always Jace or Izzy."

"Well, I imagine they would've been blind," Magnus said matter-of-factly, "I think you're gorgeous. Though your clothes could use some glitter."

Alec laughed, "Absolutely not. And thank you." Alec blushed then, realising the meaning of Magnus' words.

"Drink, Alexander?" Magnus asked, walking over to the bar, "Pina Colada? Negroni? Martini?"

"Whatever you're having," Alec sighed, "I don't know my alcohol, sorry."

"No need to apologise," Magnus reassured him, "I'll make you a strawberry margarita. It's quite fruity."

So Magnus got on with the task at hand, occasionally engaging Alec in a conversation even though he seemed more invested in Chairman Meow, who was stretching out in Alec's lap.

After a while, Magnus returned to the sofa, handing Alec his drinking and sitting down with his own Malibu Sunset. He watched over the rim of his glasses as Alec sipped, face screwing up, adorably, at the taste.

"Not a fan?" Magnus asked.

"Um, no, it tastes great," Alec lied abhorrently but Magnus let it pass.

"This dessert place opened in town," Magnus said, "I thought we could check that out. And then depending on how much time you have, I can magic us some dinner back at the loft."

"That sounds wonderful, Magnus," Alec said, "Like I said... I don't really know what the hell I'm doing."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Magnus smiled and held his glass up and Alec clinked, both smiling.

Once their drinks were finished, Magnus cleared the glasses away with a flick of his wrist and gestured for Alec to follow him out of the loft.

"Ready?"