24 Under Oath (Lucas)

"Let me do the talking," my lawyer was telling me as we strode into the Hall of Justice in San Jose the morning of May 28th. "Just sit there and don't say a word."

I nodded and followed him as he opened the door to courtroom 10 and strode inside.

"Cassandra," my attorney said in greeting to the opposing council on the opposite side of the courtroom. I took a seat at the table in front while he stood, unpacking his briefcase.

"Bill," she replied. "Good to see you again."

"Wish I could say the same to you, Cass. But there's just something that sticks in my craw about someone who tries to deport hard-working legal citizens."

"We'll see about that," she said with a scoff, leaning back to get a good look at me where I sat. "Let's just hope this one doesn't have an accent so thick we can't understand him."

My blood was boiling but I remained calm, clenching my fist at my side and keeping my jaw wired shut. The doors to the Judge's chambers opened then and Honorable Judge Howard stepped into the courtroom, taking his seat high above us.

"Morning, council," he said, indifferently, with a nod. "Mr. Vega."

"Good morning, Your Honor," Bill and Cassandra spoke at the same time.

"I see we've got an attempted removal proceeding," the Judge said, looking over his glasses at the papers in front of him. "On what grounds does the prosecution move to remove Mr. Vega from the country?"

"Illegitimate marriage, Your Honor," Cassandra answered.

"Illegitimate?" The judge asked, peering over to her. "Six years it's been in place, Miss Nickles, what's illegitimate about it?"

"We believe we have proof which counters its legitimacy, Your Honor."

"I suppose we'll see, won't we counsel? Who is your law enforcement representative on this case, then?"

"Agent Janine Ashley with U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, sir."

He looked up from his papers.

"Where do I know that name from?" He mused aloud.

"Sir?" Cassandra asked, brows furrowing in confusion.

"Is she here?"

"Yes, Your Honor," Cassandra replied, stepping to the side and gesturing to where Agent Ashley sat behind her. I hadn't even see her there before.

"Stand up, Agent," the Judge ordered and she complied, standing from her seat. "You were formally FBI, were you not?"

"I was, Your Honor," Agent Ashley answered but her cheeks colored at the admission.

"Removed from your role because of an incident regarding the mishandling of evidence in a big name murder investigation, were you not?" The judge asked her and Bill turned to me, raising a brow in pleasant surprise.

"I was, Your Honor."

"That young man, that athlete, he got off on a technicality, didn't he?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

"Well, Agent Ashley," the judge said then, removing his glasses and shaking his head. "I hope this isn't your latest attempt at waging war with the upper class to atone for your mistakes."

"Your Honor, Agent Ashley has an exemplary record and an arrest percentage of—" Cassandra began but the judge raised his hand.

"I've made no judgement on Agent Ashley's character, Miss Nickles, don't worry. I'm only warning her, and you, that you both better have a very convincing case for me today. I don't enjoy having my time wasted with personal vendettas."