Chapter 16

Eleven walked to maxs house. Her white shoes had gotten ruined from her trudging in the mud. Honestly she wasn't surprised. She always knew something was off with them. Maybe she just didn't want to believe it. The whole walk the only thing she could think of was all the times they spent talking, kissing, and listening to music. How he made her laugh.

It never felt real.

He was lying right to her face and she knew it. But she ignored it. Why would he do that? Why would she do that? Eleven shook her head, walking up to the door and knocking. After a few seconds Max opened the door. "Hey? What's up?" Max said, confused. Eleven sighed, "can I come in please?"

Eleven was explaining the best she could, "then I left." She said, finishing her sentence. "They kissed?" Max was dumbfounded. Mike and will, kissing? Eleven nodded. Max's face turned serious. "Do you know what..." she paused, eleven furrowing her brows in curiosity. "Gay people are?" Max said, pulling at the skin on her nails. Eleven shook her head no. "Well sometimes boys like boys, in the way that boys and girls like each-other." Max said. "Sometimes girls can like girls. But in these situations sometimes the boys aren't able to like girls at all. Does that make sense?" Max put a hand on elevens shoulder.

"That actually makes a lot of sense. Mike has always been weird with me. He didn't like kissing and has always seemed like he was putting on a show. Like he was a different person." Eleven sighed. "Why didn't he just tell me?" Elevens face scrunched up, the tears on their way. "Well sometimes people are scared to tell others. People like that are not liked around here. And sometimes they even get killed just for loving someone." Max explained and Elevens face dropped, "that's terrible!" She yelled. It really was. How had eleven not heard of this before. Why hadn't anyone told her?

"It's not your fault el. It's not. You can't help it." Max tried to comfort her. Eleven nodded, drying her tears with her sleeves. For a second they looked at each other. It was a different kind of look. The kind of look that made Elevens heart flutter.

———————————————————-

"You okay?" Mike looked down at Will who was staring blankly at the wall. "Oh yeah I'm just thinking." Will said quietly, his eyes closing slightly. "Oh yeah? What?" Mike asked, rubbing his hand through wills fluffy hair. "What are we?" Will said, his eyes fully closed now. "What do you mean?" He knew exactly what he meant. "Are we just friends?" Will said rhetorically. "No. At least I don't think so. All I know is that I love you. And not in a friend way." Mike smiled.

"I love you too. In a non friend way." Will said, his voice muffling into mikes shirt. Mike started rubbing wills back. Doing circles with his fingers and eventually letting his hands travel all the way down his waist. Wills skin was soft against his rough hands. He had tiny little cuts all over his hands from the other night. Smacking branches out of the way with his bare hands probably wasn't a good idea. Especially since some had thorns.

Suddenly it washed over him. He was such a shit person. What he's done to Will. He can never take that back. Mikes eyes stung with tears. He looked down at Will who was now asleep. His face peaceful and looking somewhat younger. Mike thought back to when they were younger. Staying up all night eating junk food and watching scary movies. How he held his hand when he was scared. The times where if Will couldn't sleep Mike and him would stay on the phone all night. Just talking. He couldn't help but smile, he loved will. He really did.

—————————————————

Dustin propped his bike up against the wall and closed the garage door. He walked inside the house. "Hey mom." He said, waving at her. She smiled, "Dusty! How was your day?" She said, Mews junior in her lap. "It was good." He smiled, walking into his room and closing the door. He sat on the bed and pulled his shoes off.

Nobody had talked to him. Not a single person. Did everyone just forget he existed? Was the party really that screwed? Dustin ran a hand through his hair.

Then his phone rang.

————————————————

Shit I am so damn exhausted 🥱