Chapter 38: Birthday, Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I'll be single forever!" He says loudly with a look of horror on his face. I just raise an eyebrow at this new version of my brother. Who knew, drunk Neji is hilarious. I may need to exploit this more in the future.

"Yup, come along Perpetual Bachelor, let's get you up to bed now." I say and we finally get home. I take him straight up his bed, plopping him down on his mattress and taking off his shoes and gear for him. I got up to leave, but he grabs my hand before I go.

"Ami... Thank you for tonight." Neji says softly and coherently. "I know you are sometimes uncertain about your friends. You sometimes look like you think you don't deserve them, but you do. You are the best person I know in the world, and you aren't just my twin, but also my best friend." Neji says in complete sincerity, holding my eye contact.

"Oh Neji." I say softly, then pull him into a fierce hug that knocks him back down onto his mattress. I kiss his cheek softly when I pull away a little bit. "Thank you for that." 

I get up and go to my room then, smiling softly to myself as I fall asleep, thinking about my friends I have made in this world. Before I completely fall asleep, I hear a tapping on my door. I get up and in flies Haitaka, carrying a note for me.

'Happy Birthday, Ami. For once, I have a gift for you. I miss you. Sasuke.'

"A gift?" I ask the hawk, who just holds out his other leg that has a small sealing scroll attached to it. I open it and summon whatever is inside of it. My eyes widen upon seeing a new scythe. It has a different and unique design and pattern on it, and the center of the longer blade has designs cut out of the metal. Also, the metal itself if strange, it's blue instead of steel colored.

"It is specially crafted for Wind Nature attacks

"It is specially crafted for Wind Nature attacks. Master Sasuke had this made for you from the Uchiha weapon's specialist, Granny Cat." Haitaka informs me. 

I immediately channel some wind chakra through the handle into the blade, and lift it slowly into the air, carefully not to send out a draft with it. Wisps of black and purple wind stream off of it as it moves. It's beautiful to watch, and is the most thoughtful gift I have ever received. 

"Please tell him thank you, and that I love it." I tell him, choking down on a sob. This gift is perfect. I inspect it closer, and see he put the Hyuga clan symbol on it next to the Uchiha one along the handle. 

Haitaka nods his head in acceptance of the message, and leaves to deliver it. I hold the scythe for a few moments longer before sealing it again and replacing it with my old scythe in my weapons pouch.

"Neji, wake up!" I call out to my brother the next morning, eager to show him my new gift and to test it out fully. Neji groggily calls down the stairs in reply, then I hear a thump and go to investigate. He's knocked himself over onto the ground, his shirt off and one leg sticking out of his pants. I just sigh at him, "Neji... You're a mess." I shake my head, going over to help him sit up.