Chapter 11: Second Task

Start from the beginning

Several hours pass before we come across a team of genin from the hidden Cloud. We spot them resting by some water. They have a few traps set up, guarding their perimeter, but nothing that we can't see through. We silently communicate on who we will take down. We each throw down shuriken, disabling their defensive traps, then we use our heightened speed and swoop in, swiftly taking them down with only minimal damage taken. Neji and I use our Gentle Fist tactics for take downs, paralyzing them by temporarily blocking their chakra. Lee uses his Leaf hurricane and easily knocks out his target as well. Neji searches their bodies for the scroll while I keep a look out and Lee ropes them up.

"It's our lucky day. They had an Earth scroll." Neji says smirking as he holds it up.

"And it's not a decoy, right? They didn't have any extra's?" I ask skeptically.

"Not everyone is as smart as you, Ami. They didn't think that far ahead, they only had the one." Neji says with a sigh.

I take a moment and look at the Cloud ninja. I should feel bad for leaving them tied up in a deadly forest, but I don't. Ever since our father was killed just to please the thieving Cloud village, I have resented them. While Neji directs his hatred to the main family, I direct it at the Cloud. I think it also had something to do with Danzo, but unfortunately over the years my memories of the shows smaller details have faded. For now, I feel satisfied in beating up these Cloud ninja.

"If that is all, I would like to make a detour before we arrive at the tower. I am worried for my Sakura. I vowed to protect her with my life, and a man never goes back on his vow." Lee declares.

"We don't have time-" Neji starts to say, but I cut him off.

"Make it fast." I say firmly, "And stay safe. Keep in our range. Sasuke and his team are that way, probably about two kilometers away by now." I inform him the direction. "Lee." I stare him dead in the eye, "I mean it, be safe."

Lee nods, then runs off. Neji turns to me and asks skeptically, "Why let him go alone?"

"Good question." I reply lightly, "It seemed like something he had to do himself. We'll follow in a few minutes though. He's finally becoming independent, let him have his moment to shine. We have plenty of those. If he gets too in over his head, we'll step in." I say casually.

"Tch, fine." Neji replies, then looks at me with a piercing gaze. "You're acting strange lately. Everything ok with you?"

"Yeah. Just made a promise to look after my friends. I'm not... I don't know, not used to having to look for anyone besides us, so I feel like I'm failing at it." I admit to him softly. "I don't really know what it means fully to have friends that aren't you, so I'm making this up as I go."

Neji comes up to me and places an arm over my shoulder. "You at least made friends. You make time for them when you can. But this is an exam, Ami. You have to let your friends win or fail on their own. For now, let's just go check on the idiot and make sure he isn't getting into trouble." He squeezes my shoulder gently again as I smile up at him.

"Thanks, nii-san." I thank him sweetly with a nod, and we both set off at a casual but fast pace to reach Lee. I get curious to see if he's fighting the bad guys yet, so I turn on my eyes again once we are in range. "Neji, we have to hurry!" I call out, seeing Lee down on the ground a kilometer away. That happened a lot faster than I thought. We both increase our speed, getting to the scene just in time to halt an attack on Shikamaru and his team.

"You ninja are just a bunch of hacks." We hear a Sound ninja saying, holding his arm out towards them.

"From a second rate village." The other Sound ninja, Dosu I think, adds in smugly.