Chapter 9: Proving My Worth

Bắt đầu từ đầu

I turn to look expectantly at the blacksmith, who is gawking at the boulder before clearing his throat. "Don't get too cocky yet, kid. You had to hit the target, not the boulder." He says as we start to make our way to it. I already had caught Neji's eye after the shot, and he grinned at me.

We made it down to the target, Guy and Lee obnoxiously praising me the entire way. I'm used to it by now, they will praise anyone who tries hard, they are incredibly encouraging people. The smith looks at the large hole missing out of the boulder, and looks around at the destruction.

"There no way of knowing if you even hit the target, everything is destroyed." He tries to defend, grumbling to himself.

Neji clears his throat, standing by a tree that was slightly further down range. There, sticking out of the tree is my arrow, and resting on the shaft of it is the mask, which is pierced right through the eye hole, completely undamaged. I walk innocently over to the mask as everyone else gawks at it, I take it off and playfully put it on my face.

"Hmm, how was that?" I saw sweetly, "Did this 'little lady' prove her worth to you?" I saw with an edge. I watch the blacksmith stiffen at the tone, a hint of fear in his eyes. I also see a shiver run down Guy and Lee. They have each made the mistake of calling me that in the past, and have painfully learned not to anymore.

The blacksmith gulps, "You certainly did. That was incredible... How..." He clears his throat again, pulling out a scroll. "As promised. You have truly mastered that bow, and so quickly too. You really are one of the genius twins I've heard about. Use these well, honor them as you have that bow. I expect great things from you, Ami Hyuga." He bows lightly to me in respect, which I return promptly as I take the scroll that must contain my new fans.

"Thank you." I say genuinely, then add on cheekily, "I'm keeping this mask, by the way." I grin at him. The mask is a cute half face fox pattern ANBU mask with little bells on the strings. Clearly it's something for a festival, but I can still see through it. Could be fun to have, or just count as my trophy for the day.

The smith leaves and my team all crowd around me, the enthusiastic ones begging me to show the fans

The smith leaves and my team all crowd around me, the enthusiastic ones begging me to show the fans. I summon them from the scroll and open them up for everyone to see. They are stunning, all black but with pink blossoms on the inside. When I opened them softly, they looked to appear like normal fans, but when I flicked my wrist a little harder, the knives popped out of them. I inspected it as everyone 'oood' and 'awwed' at them. The knives were set on a retractable system, they were not meant to be thrown or dislodged, but there were empty cavities along the spikes of the fans, where I could store ninja needles for throwing.

 The knives were set on a retractable system, they were not meant to be thrown or dislodged, but there were empty cavities along the spikes of the fans, where I could store ninja needles for throwing