10. Lights, Camera

Ayanda King

I WINCED slightly from the tension coming from my head. The stylist was trying to get my hair up into a pony tail while the makeup artist tried to line my lips.

I had on a white robe and a fruit salad in my hand while the Director went on and on about what was expected of me in the shoot. I was undoubtedly tired right now. I slept at ungodly hours last night and the bags under my eyes were so prominent that it was the first thing they covered but, being in this rustic, picturesque mansion, high up a hill, far from civilization made it slightly better

It was early hours of the morning. The sun was striping the room in a yellow color but it was put hot yet. If I were to guess, I'd say just before 10 am. My coffee had run cold and I was obviously in distress about that but there was nothing I could do while they did my hair and makeup. I just had to sit there and hope I didn't pass out in my chair...again.

"I'm not liking that at all." The Director said, frowning at straight at me.

Does she not like my face, or the makeup?

The makeup artist stood adjacent to the Director and assessed my face with immense perplexity. "I really think that a shade of brown would work for the lips." She said nodding along with the artist. I looked in the mirror and turned my head. I agreed. This bright red looked out of place.

"Maybe not a brown that matched her skin but like a darker one." She picked up Diors Rouge and swabbed it on my hand and lifted it up for the director to see like I was a mannequin. She nodded, "Yeah, that's it." She then turned and walked away to check on something else.

Today, I got called to partner with Chanel in their spring-summer campaign. I was extremely excited about this shoot because I adored anything Chanel. I had their shoes, their glasses. their bags and a lot of their dress and leaving here I'll have a new collection of clothes.

"The makeup artist is gonna finish you off then you'll head out to the set alright?" A man with earpiece and a clipboard instructed before motioning to the makeup artist to hurry up. I simply nodded.

My phone started vibrating in front of me and I checked and saw that my mom was FaceTiming me. I smiled, answered and my screen filled with this beautiful woman who was now scolding someone in the background, "...it's not incomprehensible. Just do it."

"Hi Sweetheart! How's the shoot? You look beautiful." I found it very weird how my mom could have a stone cold face that could have anyone to their to this sort motherly persona in just seconds. Actually no, I found it quite scary.

I appreciated this call from my mom. I was nervous and this was helping. "Just finishing off hair and makeup. The mansion is absolutely gorgeous." I said and I watched her smile.

She was walking while speaking to me. "I'm so sorry I couldn't be there. Apparently I hired a bunch of fools to deal with my work today. How's the Director? Is Amani there?"

Amani was my agent. She been with me since I was a beginner child model. Amani is a strong-headed and emphatic human being who has always prioritized my success. She's been in charge—along with my parents—of keeping any of my personal drama out the press. That, ladies and gentlemen is a hell of a job because I tend to unknowingly get myself in situations. Like...the breakup. She's like my guardian angel that I fear.

I laughed, "Good. Everyone's nice. Amani is here she's busy calling someone though. She left a few minutes ago." She looked into the camera and nodded. "Great stuff. Well, I leave you to it. Good luck baby!" She kissed the screen and I waved at her and then the screen went blank, leaving me to stare at my made up face. I looked cute unfinished.