3. I came, I saw, I left.

Ayanda King

THE DAY started off with a biweekly school assembly. We all lined up, in our grades, in the courtyard as we slowly filled into the school hall. Teachers stood at the front of the doors, inspecting our uniform and making sure that all the girls had their blazers buttoned up, skirts at an appropriate length—it's great to watch girls pull down their skirts and unroll them as we walk in—-,hair pushed back away from our eyes and shoes polished and, obviously, black. The boys were checked to make sure there was a maximum of one plain stud in their ears, hair neatly brushed, shoes are black and pants aren't too tight.

If your uniform did not follow the school requirements, you received a warning, 3 warnings equaled a detention, 3 detentions equal further disciplinary action. Personally, I've never gotten a uniform warning in my whole high school career. My mom, since 8th grade, had the uniform code of conduct stuck to the fridge and everyday, I'd have to answer "yes" as she runs down the uniform rules one by one and she checks me. Then in 10th, she finally allowed me to go to school without the list.

I walked in and found a seat with the rest of the grade near the back because the hall was in tiers. The older grades sat further in the back and teachers sat on the stage along side the podium.

I crossed my legs, one on top of the other, my posture perfect and my arms folded in front of my chest. I really would rather do anything but be here right now.

I, personally, found assemblies tiresome and a complete waste of time. Half the students ended up falling asleep anyways. Our headmistress has tried to fix that problem by making assemblies early in the morning but that hasn't stopped anyone from catching a quick one in the hour long assembly.

"Welcome back students to another year! I'm glad to see so many familiar faces back and I'm even happier to see just as many unfamiliar faces in all grades." I scoff at the thought of the poor soul who started here in matric year.

The headmistress went on and on about the pride we needed to have for our crest and the history of these great walls. Afterwards, there were announcement about after school activities, food court hours, rules and regulations etc. Lastly we all stood up said our school pledge and were finally let go.

I was grateful to be able to finally breath something other than axe and hot breath air. I removed my blazer and lay it onto my arm as I walked out and spoke to Scarlett, one of my friends from Cheer.

"Your photoshoot in Bali for Allure was so beautiful. That white dress? Oh my gosh I need it." She gushed and I smiled.

"I have the dress if you want it?"

She gasped and got ahold of my hands, "Really?! Oh my word, Aya you're amazing. Thank you."

"No problem." I smiled, happy to borrow her the dress because frankly, it wasn't my style anyways. "You wanna head to class?"

"Agh shit, sorry, I have to meet one of my teachers about my schedule. It's messed up but I'll see you at lunch girl." She sighed.

I nodded with a smile and she started making her way to her class whilst I searched for Simone in the thick crowd, hoping to find her signature hair, because we both had History together. As I made my way to the corridor, I felt my arm being pulled towards a broad frame, My nose was attacked by the smell of this strong... musky smell? My breath hitch as I made contact with this individuals chest.

"Hey beautiful, missed me?" I recognized the guttural voice from anywhere and I immediately felt any energy I had evaporate from me. It was way too early in the morning and my patience was running very thin.