He's noticeable

Y/n sat against one of the gym walls looking as bunch of boys were practicing. He has never found sports interesting, but it was cool to see this all from up close. Sure it was a little scary when some of the balls came up close when someone smacked them down and their aim was awful. He saw few people that he knew, there was the loud first year Yamamoto, the one first year who always plays games, Kenma and that one first year who asks for jokes, Fukunaga. He only knew that Yamamoto was in the volleyball club.

But why did he do it? Why did Y/n tell that he paid somehow special attention to Yaku. That was weird. It was weird to tell someone that, especially someone of the same gender. If he would've told that to a girl then it would've meant that he had a crush on her, wouldn't it? If a girl would've told that to him, he would've... he would've thought that she had a crush on him. And if a girl would've told him that come over to her place after a day of knowing him, the case would've been the same.

Y/n wasn't acting like a person who wanted to be friends, he was acting like someone who might have a crush on him. He wasn't supposed to have a crush on a boy. Every other boy had a girlfriend and girls had boyfriends.

"Hey, tutor-san!" Yamamoto yelled, "I did my English homework, will you check it out?"

Y/n looked up at him for a good while to process what he had just said, "You... you actually did your homework?" was the first thing that came to mind.

"Of course I did!" he seemed offended and embarrassed. Maybe Y/n should've just agreed. "I am a good student!"

Kuroo burst out laughing, "You?! A good student! You're like phrenology!

Yamamoto looked at Kuroo, Y/n doubted that he knew what it meant but knew that it was an insult. "... Tutor-san, what does that mean?" he whispered.

"He probably means you're like pseudoscience", Y/n answered. He found it a little funny, but it was quite far fetched to work as an insult, especially to anyone expect to a research of sort. Yamamoto continued staring. "Things that sound scientific or are claimed to be scientific without being such. He means you want to or try to sound smart even though you aren't".

"He got his stuff!" Kuroo nodded approvingly looking between Yaku and Y/n, "A total catch", he quietly told to Yaku. "This guy is also fairly smart!" he said louder so that Y/n could also hear, he put his hand on Yaku's head, "Though, I must admit he's such a weirdo. Like, his type is (your hair colour), (your eye colour), (some specific feature you have) and (your height). Like, it's so specific that it's scary".

Y/n laughed a little, surely girls like that existed. Though, finding someone with (some specific feature you have) might be a little more challenging. "Good luck finding a girlfriend... Yaku-san". His first instinct was to call him Morisuke or Mori, but there was no one in ear shot with the same family name so it was better just to say Yaku.

... 

Y/n was able to do most of his class work during the morning where he only sat watching others do something. Once the classes started he once had a confident feeling that he hadn't forgotten any homework. As the maths teacher began making his round to check that everyone had at least made an attempt to solve the tasks Yaku turned to Y/n, "When did you have time to do those?!" he asked in panic. 

Y/n looked around a little, "I did them during practice". 

"... Ah- crap". 

Y/n did wonder the previous night how Yaku did no homework considering that they had some, but he didn't bother asking. Maybe he should've asked and did homework with him so that both of them surely had made them. If he happened to stay over tonight as well, he will do that. 

Y/n tapped Yaku's back with his notebook, "Copy the answers and say you didn't bother doing the steps", he whispered. Yaku did as he was told, handing the notebook back just in time for Y/n. He got told off for not doing the steps and how he had to do them during exams or he would lose points, but otherwise he was good.   

After the round Yaku leaned back, "You're a lifesaver".

"It wouldn't have been awful even if you haven't done them... it's just maths and a boring topic at that". 

"Still, thanks". 

Once the lunch came Yaku and Y/n returned to the stairs. Yaku gave Y/n the lunchbox his mum had made for him with some chopsticks. "Mum doesn't really know what you eat... so, she sort of made a lot of stuff". 

"That's fine", Y/n said opening the box to see how it truly was full. He wondered how Yaku's mum was able to close the lid in the morning. "...You should have some of it, I don't think I can eat this all", he laughed.

As Yaku was explaining something about today's practice- that Y/n somewhat understood but the technical part of it confused him- Y/n was reading a note over and over that was in his lunchbox. It said something along the lines of You're such a sweet boy for keeping our Morisuke company in school :). Y/n wondered what that meant. 

"Yaku-san", Y/n called interrupting him, "Do you have friends over often?"

Yaku smiled confused, "Uh... not really. Why?"

"Just wondering". 

"Mm, you're probably one of the first ones. Mum and dad were really surprised", Yaku told, "Are you staying for another night or is your dad returning tonight already?"