Chapter 30, The End

So many years had passed, and I was sitting there alone, petting fluffy. Where do I start?

Luke had met up with Mr. Fox, tears in their eyes. All this time, Mr. Fox thought Luke was dead. Luke took over his father's company and helped so many in need. He set up multiple shelters across several continents for the homeless and the abused, those who needed somewhere to stay.

I remember how Luke had taken me to a beach, dragging me by the arm and laughing before he went quiet, turned around, and looked into my eyes. He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. The scene was familiar; it was where he asked me to marry him in my past life. I accepted, tears dripping down my cheeks, and he kissed me, the sunset shining just behind us, haloing us in light.

We had two kids, a son, and a daughter. We named them Lucas and Luna, after our children in our past life. When Lucas was born, Luke was gone on a nine-month business trip to Africa, and I couldn't contact him. He never knew I was pregnant before he left. When he came back, Jacob dragged him to the hospital where I'd just given birth, Aron holding my hand. Luke thought I was ill until I told him to turn around, and when he saw the nurse holding Lucas, he burst into tears, sobbing like a child. But I'd never seen him happier. He took Lucas into his arm and cradled him, still sobbing until Jacob whacked the side of his head, telling him to man up. The nurse gently took Lucas out of Luke's arms, trying to contain her laughter, shaking her head and smiling at me. Luke threw himself at me, telling me how happy he was and that I'd given him all he'd ever wanted. I'd rolled my eyes, laughing, telling him that he was being dramatic.

Luna was another story. She came into our lives two years later. She was born two weeks early on a cold January night. I'd woken up Luke with my screeching that it was too early for her to some, and he'd rushed me to the hospital. Thankfully, she survived.

Lucas looked just like his father but had my brown eyes and snappy attitude, while Luna looked just like me but had her father's blue eyes and calm demeanor. I got to watch them grow up this time, happy and successful. Lucas was to inherit Luke's company, but Luna wanted no part of it. She grew up to be a kindergarten teacher; she'd always loved little kids.

I never aged- I stopped aging after 18. I stayed hidden from society, had no job, and barely ever stepped foot outside. I couldn't risk it- my sudden disappearance and unaging immortality. Luke had taken the risk because he could age and wasn't immortal. He came up with a story. He claimed that he was kidnapped and held hostage for years and that his captors wanted money that he refused to give. It was a clever story, and everyone bought it.

I watched him grow old. He died at 98 in our bed, and I'd watched it happen. He was too old to go on. Lucas and Luna knew our story, and they took care of Luke. I attended his funeral in the shadows, wearing my cloak from years ago, sobbing silently, Jacob hanging his head at my side.

I'd watched all my friends die. I watched my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and so forth pass away. I only had Jacob to keep me company.

It was time. I looked at the necklace around my neck- a silver necklace with a heart-shaped sapphire that reminded me of Luke's eyes. I closed my eyes and got up.

"Are you going to do it?" Jacob asked.

"Yes."

"It's about time."

He came over to me and hugged me tightly. "We've been through so much together. I'll miss you."

I smiled warmly, my violet eyes sparkling. "But you'll visit me, won't you?"

"Of course."

With that, I walked onto the balcony, my long black hair flying wildly in the crisp November wind, and stood on the railing. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and threw myself off. Our home was three stories high, and the balcony was on the very last story. The sky lit up with a purple tint as everyone and everything floated up to the sky. I knew I was going to die, just as I'd planned.

But this time, my kids grew up.

This time, my friends grew old enough to die.

This time, I'd succeed.

This time, I didn't hate myself.

When I opened my eyes, I was in paradise. I was in luke's arms with all my friends running toward me, including Seph.

I succeeded.