Chapter 22, Lost and Found

Aron dropped Derek in shock.

"What was that for?" Derek shouted.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Axton's not on our side is what happened. He came running to us because he said you guys heard Seph scream, even though she didn't. Then he told Seph to go look for you two, and she left me alone with him. That's when he pulled out a needle, smirked at me, and then I blacked out-"

"Poison," Aron and I interrupted. It all clicked.

"That's the most logical explanation," I started, "he tried to kill you with a poison-coated needle, but the dose was too small and resulted in you blacking out. He probably thought you were dead. He's probably sneaking up on Seph right now, but the poison wouldn't work on her."

"You're quick to catch on," Derek agreed, "but the poison wouldn't work on her, so that means he knows where the sword is, or had it on him all along, and is planning to use it on Seph."

"He's trying to kill us off so that he can lure Ash to Dougleman," Aron reasoned. It all made sense.

"We have to find Seph! No splitting up!" I shouted. "He probably knows where Jacob is, too!"

"I do," said a voice behind us.

We drew our swords and looked behind us to see Axton with an army of Dougleman's soldiers behind him.

"But you'll never find out where they are."

The soldiers charged at us. There were too many.

"Ash, on the count of three," Aron whispered, "get out of here and I'll take them out with my powers. Don't argue."

I shook my head yes in understanding. Derek looked confused.

One.

Two.

Three.

I grabbed Derek by the arm and dragged him out of the corridor with my lighting speed just as the corridor was filled with a blinding flash of purple light. Aron's powers were strong. Derek and I covered our eyes.

"What's going on?"

"Aron's taking them out with lighting."

"What?"

"That's why I dragged you out. You could've been burnt to a crisp."

Aron walked out of the cave in his true form, which I'd seen when he was showing me how to use my powers. His skin had a violet hue, his eyes were completely violet, his hair stood up and floated wildly in many different directions, and sparks of lighting erupted from his hands.

Derek just stood there with his mouth open. "YOU GUYS NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT THIS!"

"It was meant to be a secret for the final battle against Dougleman. Derek, you have a good memory, right? It's one of your best strengths. Do you know the way back to Rafael's mansion?" I inquired.

"With my eyes closed."

"Great. Go back and tell Rafael to send the whole squad. We need all our men. Are Seph's powers still intact?"

"They should be. They last for two hours," Derek replied.

"Great. That means you have about 30 minutes to go back and send reinforcements. Go!"

Following my commands, Derek exited the cave and floated out into the sky.

"This is all that's left of the cave. Seph and Jacob aren't here. We have to go find other quarters!" I told Aron.