Chapter 20, Training Sammy (or trying to)

Of course with Jacob being himself, he disappeared because of "personal business," right when I was getting better at training. He left me to train with Sammy. Huge mistake.

Sammy could turn into a bug to spy on Dougleman, but he didn't ever go on missions with us. He didn't know how to fight. What was Jacob thinking by having me train with him? Looking at Sammy approach me, I saw just how shrimpy he was. I remember Aron telling me that Sammy had grown up really poor, so he hadn't grown as much as he should have, being malnutritioned. He was 15, but he came a bit short of me and was really skinny.

I couldn't train with him for a whole week! If I did, I could end up breaking his bones. I decided I'd go easy on him. Really easy.

"Alright, you get to start. Throw a kick at me, Sammy!" I demanded.

He clumsily shot his leg up, but it didn't get to reach my stomach before I grabbed it and flung it back over his head, causing him to flip over. He laughed.

"That was weak. Try again. You really need training. What will you do if Dougleman attacks you? Turn into a fly?" I questioned.

"Exactly," he fought.

"Suit yourself. Dougleman wouldn't hesitate to crush you."

He got back on his feet and threw a weak punch at my face, which I didn't attempt to dodge. It felt like a slap from a four-year-old. I grabbed his wrist and easily sent him flying into the air. He landed on the training mats (which I never used until today for Sammy's sake) with a loud thump. He groaned in pain. I sighed.

"I used to be just like you Sammy. I came here not knowing how to throw a punch or properly wield a sword, but I had the right people to teach me how. You have me to teach you how. What do you say?" I helped him back onto his feet. "Would you let me train you?"

He shrugged and nodded his head.

"Is that I yes?"

"Yep."

"Great. Let's start with your punch. Hit me as hard as you can."

Sammy hesitated, but then dug his fist into my stomach.

"That wasn't as bad as your first one, but it was still weak. Swing your fist farther back and swing your fist at your target with strength."

He extended his arm behind him and started turning it like a windmill. He did the same with his other arm, making huge circular motions. I sighed.

"What are you doing? Come on Sammy, it's not funny. Take this seriously."

"I'm Flashman!"

"Shut up!"

"You're rude. I don't wanna train anymore!" He left the training grounds, still swinging his arms like a windmill and running like a maniac.

A whole training session was wasted.