Prologue

My daughter, I held you in my arms as I fled. I was a coward, I will admit. I heard your father's loud breaths, thinking he was just running in a hurry to see me. I was ignorant, for I did not hear the footsteps of a single person, but that of two. I should have gone down to see who else was there.

I should have known, but how could I have known that it was him? That it was that twisted, jealous bastard. I heard the loud thump and smelled the blood. I tiptoed towards the staircase and saw at the bottom floor, your father, dying, and none other than that bastard, Harry Dougleman, standing over him. Yes. The one who wanted my hand in marriage and would do anything to achieve it. He was said to be dead, by the hands of his twin, but there he was, right in front of me. I could see them with my two eyes. "Run, #####" your father had wheezed.

Dougleman spotted me and kept his eyes on me until I ran to your room, with you in my arms, my daughter, and locked the door. I ran to the balcony before he kicked down the bedroom door. How fearsome! He made his way towards us as you started to wail. I was in fear, in confusion. How could a dead man be walking?

He locked his lethal hazel eyes with mine. "You should have married me when you had the chance," he said. "Since I killed your husband, I don't see why you shouldn't marry me."

"I'd rather die than marry you," I spat.

He shook his head and pulled out the blade. I knew that he intended to kill me. I dodged the best that I could, but I was weak. I gave birth to you, my daughter, only three weeks ago.

He finally managed to stab my arm, causing me to lose my balance and fall off the balcony.

The problem was, my daughter, that our home was four stories high. God knew I was going to die, so did I. The sky lit up purple. As everything and everyone floated up into the sky, I knew this was the end of the world. I reached for your father's hand when we were level and he reached for mine, but our hands were never able to touch.

I apologize for being a weakling and a coward, my daughter. For you could have lived longer.

A tear dripped down my cheek. I had one more chance. One more chance to keep the world alive. I knew that if I died the world ended. Next time, my daughter, I vow not to be a coward. I vow to keep the world alive. I will keep this promise. Again, I am so sorry, so, so sorry...

-The 8th life, the End