CH 2 | IT'S A YES

"Please go on a blind date instead of me." My eyes widened at her words, "What?" I shouted at the top of my lungs, the whole neighborhood would have heard that. Jene placed her hand over my mouth before I could speak further.

I spoke under her palm as my voice came out muffled, I saw my mother rushing inside my room with the same spatula she was holding before as now she had it propped as if it was a weapon.

Mom's face was anxious while her eyes furrowed, she was trying to find something on the floor at the time and her eyes waggled all over the floor from the end of the room to the door, "Where is it?" Mom asked, searching for the one which hasn't even been misplaced.

I looked at her before, "What?" Jene and I opened our mouths simultaneously to ask what was the thing mom was seeking.

My voice again muffled against Jene's palm as I yanked her hand off my face, shooting her a glare as she smiled at me with her eyes squint and her not-so-happy face. I will see her later.

We both turned to my mother as she answered our question, "A roach." Our eyes widened, "What? Roaches?" I shouted again, holding onto Jene's hand before bouncing over the bed. If I was an athlete, I would have won a gold medal in the Fosbury flop.

I was bouncing over the mattress with Jene beside me, hopping side you side with a nauseating expression all over my face, "Mom, I have told you so many times to have pest control but you never listen to me." I panicked, It was the worst insect I would encounter in my life.

The two antennas poking out of its head and the way he jumps over someone and starts flying, thinking of that creature makes me feel disrelish.

"Where was it? Where did it go?" Mom asked us who didn't have any glimpse of that creature around us till now as I stopped flapping my hands in the air and bouncing my legs. I looked at Jene and back at Mom, "Mom, we haven't encountered any brute." My once disgusted face turned a bit normal.

Mom slowly hung her hand down which was once ready to kill the creature she created in her mind, "Then why did you scream?"

I let out a sigh, taking a step nigh to her on the mattress, "So there ain't any creature haunting here." I felt Jene nudging her chin over my shoulder with her hand holding my upper arms, peering at my mom and curious about her answer, "No."

We both sighed in relief, I threw daggers in mom's as well as Jene's direction as she endeavored not to look back in my eyes, squinting my eyes. I held her hands, pulling them off from me while Mom walked away from the room murmuring, "I thought the roach came back from the day before yesterday."

My eyes widened as I pulled up my foot which I was about to keep down on the floor, "What? You found a creature in my room, flying and you didn't even let me know about this." Mom stopped at the threshold of the door, turning around to look at me as I added, "I came home on Sunday nights to have a stayover and I can't even get my room clean. I slept in a room where a daredevil creature would be having the time of its life or maybe breakfast." I retorted to my mom who doesn't listen to having extermination.

I rue what I just said when I felt Mom throwing daggers in my direction with her spatula patting over her palm, "What did you say? I don't do my work properly." She declared taking slow steps towards me as I retreated myself while my back hit Jene's physique who was looking at mom with horror-struck in her eyes.

Swiftly I hid behind Jene, pushing her forward in mom's direction while she stood on the periphery of the bed, "No... No mom, you are getting me wrong. I didn't mean to say that. I was saying that... That you work so hard and take care of the cafe, take care of dad, and do the household all by yourself so you would have let slip to clean my room." I smiled at her which was a deceptive one but more like a frantic one.