Chapter 27

When morning came, I was still reeling from yesterday's events. I actually doubted that I managed to close my eyes even for a few seconds at night. The smile never left my face and I replayed all our conversations with Paige in my mind. She loved my brother, I had no doubt about that, but her descriptions didn't fit Nick. Did he go to breakfast with her? He could hardly believe that. Nick was a workaholic. He only focused on work and everything else fell by the wayside. Paige had to change him. In fact, even Erick has changed.

My God, who would have thought that? Paige and my brother. It kept bugging me. One would think that in the few hours since I learned this news, I should have gotten over it already, but no. I was still pleasantly shocked by the development of the situation and mostly happy.

I had our future clearly in front of my eyes. Erick confronts Nick, of course he forgives him, and Paige and I will be best friends and sisters-in-law at the same time. What more could I wish for? The feeling that I was not alone in settling old grievances gave me incredible energy.

I raised my hands, stretched and turned to my other side. Erick was not here, I was alone in bed. But since the quiet sound of water from the bathroom carried through the apartment, I had no reason to worry. Erick stayed with me. Voluntarily. Maybe he saw things on the bright side and didn't get frustrated, I thought.

It's a shame that Hunter didn't live to see this happy news. I suspect he would be the first to hear from me. I would have told him last night via text message and today I would visit him in the hospital with one hundred percent certainty and share my happiness with him. More than once he gave me energy or handed me tissues and stood by me when I needed it most. He was not only my willow, but a true friend, of which there are very few these days.

When Erick appeared in the bedroom, my joy must have been reflected in my face. Lying on the bed, I watched as he closed the distance between us and curiously studied the expression on his face. He didn't seem angry or agitated, rather resigned and defeated.

I didn't understand why he too couldn't look at it as encouraging and good news. Why couldn't he also see it as a gift sent to us? Why didn't he see a way out of our hopeless situation? The solution to our problem was handed to us like it was on a golden platter, and he still saw it as the greatest disaster in human history. And why? Why? Why... why? I was scratching my head. I would give anything to know the answers to my questions. But one thing still occurred to me.

Erick was a guy, and guys in general had a problem with thinking. Of course, thinking hurt most people, which was often visible at every step, and Erick also preferred not to even bother to engage his brain cells in the work.

His hair was still damp from a recent shower, his face was clean shaven and his eyes resembled cold black coffee. He looked rough and sexy in flannel pajama pants and a white t-shirt, making my skin redden feverishly at the sight of him.

"Not enough for you yet?" he raised his eyebrows.

"I doubt I'll ever have enough," I grinned in a good mood.

Seeing Erick in his pajamas, in his apartment and in a good mood was like a dream from which I didn't want to wake up. Erick was different after yesterday and I wanted to believe that this change would be permanent.

"Do you have to go to the hospital today?" he asked me and lay down on the bed next to me.

"No," I replied and ran my fingertips over his chest.

"And what would you like to do?" he took my hand in his, preventing me from continuing the excursion of his body.

"Nothing," I shrugged innocently. "Just lie down, maybe watch a movie and order some food."