Chapter 9

The next day, I took great care of my appearance. I even got up an hour earlier than usual because of it. I plucked my eyebrows perfectly, applied an adequate layer of make-up and curled my hair into nice big waves.

I also played with clothes. First, I put on the most beautiful white summer dress with a floral print, which barely reached my knees. This dress was my favorite, but when I looked in the mirror, I preferred to quickly run to change. I had no doubt that I would attract attention in that dress, because the calendar was still only at the beginning of April, and people would definitely start tapping their foreheads to see if I needed the help of a psychiatrist.

Sighing, I started rummaging through my closet and realized it might be time to look around for a new wardrobe and refresh it a bit. Finally, I pulled a light blue knee-length dress from him and put on tall black boots to go with it.

I entered the hospital in a good mood. I couldn't wait for the afternoon meeting with Erick. On my way down the corridor, I smiled widely at all the patients and warmly greeted each staff member.

"Oh my god," Sam clutched his heart as he saw me walk into the doctor's room.

"I'm glad I took your breath away," I replied beaming.

"You look incredible."

"That was my intention."

"Whose knees are you going to break with your looks? I will also put my hand in the fire for the fact that I am probably not that person."

"Guess three times," I smiled thoughtfully.

"Erick?" he looked at me questioningly. "I had no idea that you had made yourself happy."

"We weren't arguing," I defended myself.

"But you haven't even met," he returned.

"That's just such a small detail. There were minor complications that we managed to overcome."

"Ah," he closed in surprise. "So your brother already knows?"

"That's not exactly what I meant," I smiled at him guiltily.

"But you should have," he warned me.

"Don't worry, I have," I sighed. "What about Shelby, how is she?"

"Excellent, it really shines."

"Why? Has something happened?" I asked with interest.

"She got her own class. Her colleague went to kindergarten, and Shelby inherited this year's first graders from her. So she is completely beside herself."

"That's great," I smiled. "I'm looking forward to being with her."

"She always wanted first-years and now she has them," Sam replied.

"Congratulate her for me too. I'm going to change quickly."

"Now I know why your clothes look so familiar to me," Sam's voice stopped me in the doorway.

"And I naively thought that you were looking at me the whole time because of my great figure," I joked.

"I always said you were a bone, but I have a better one at home," he grinned.

"You're so stupid," I shook my head.

"Not stupid, just honest," he smiled.

"Today I value your honesty more than anything," I retorted.

"Isn't that the bridesmaid dress you wore on your cousin's wedding day?" he asked with a smug smile.

"I'm surprised you still remember that," I retorted.