Chapter 4

We grabbed the map of the sewers and got ready to go. Since I had a good orientation sense, I think I could take us somewhere, but what I feared most was having any unexpected encounters with monsters.

Getting out of the house I look around to see that not one zombie was there. After I shot those zombies, the noise called the attention of nearby monsters, which were there until late night. Now it looked like none was in the streets.

I walked to the closest manhole cover and open it, sliding to the side. I see a metal ladder, picking up a lantern I turn it on. Looking around to see if there were any zombies, I realized that there were not.

I get down, followed by Beatrice. Suddenly I remembered that since my sister was half-zombie, she could not grab things, nor jump.

"Lauren, you can't go to the sewers with us" I get up the ladder again, now closer to my sister, "if you go, we can't put you out. Zombies don't attack you, go to the hospital the normal way" I pick up the map and show it to her "find us in this manhole cover"

She did not say anything, but that was already expected. I just hoped she understood. From the inside, I slide the cover again closing it. The only visible light was from the lantern in my hand.

I and Ti started walking, paying attention to every single noise, it was a despicable place. A dark local, stinky water, at least what I think was water, was on the ground, we stepped on it and our shoes were muddy and smelled bad. The walls were full of moss and mud and some pipes were on them.

We walked through the tunnels peacefully. After a ten-minute walk, we were almost near the closest manhole cover of the hospital.

At the place where our exit was, we encounter an open gallery. Four zombies were there and we needed to pass through them.

I sight. There was no way I was going to get close to one of them. The others would see me, I needed a ranged attack, I needed to risk.

I sign Beatrice to keep quiet and hidden behind the wall, I pick up the gun, but Ti stops me.

"Don't use it. It'll draw attention if there is anything up there." she whispers.

"I know, but I can't just get close to them, they'll see me" she stops to think for a little bit.

"Use the scythe. It can keep you away enough to not get bitten. If anything happens, I go there and kill them" she shows me a knife that she got for protection.

I do not know if she would be able to kill a zombie with direct contact, but if its attention is towards me, maybe she could kill one.

Walking away, now I had the scythe in my hand. As I was almost five steps away from the first zombie, the others see me and started running towards me. Quickly I slashed the fragile head of the zombie that got his back turned to me. Half of the head fell to the ground, like the rest of the body. The brain was chopped in two.

I got away as fast as I could, the three monsters were really fast and getting closer quickly. One of the zombies throws itself at me and I stab its head between the eyes. It also falls dead to the ground. I look around and see the two zombies left. The closest zombie starts running in my direction, I kick its knee. The monster loses balance and falls on my side. Not letting it even breathe, I pierced its head.

I hear the choking sound getting closer and turn around only to see that the last monster was closer than I expected.

My back hits the ground, while the zombie was on top of me. I was able to put the scythe's handle on its mouth, the beast was trying to bite me as much as it could. Blood and spit came out of its mouth and onto my face.

When my arms were tired and almost giving away, I see Ti from the corner of my eye. She got close to me and the monster, then with her knife, Beatrice stabbed the zombie in the head.

The monster dropped dead on top of me, I push it to the side and then sit up, looking in Ti's direction.

"Thanks," I say and got up

Never in my entire life have I thought of a nine years old girl killing a non-human thing. Either way, I never thought of myself in this situation too. I guess that is what this world creates.

Monsters.

Walking up the ladders, I push the manhole cover lightly to see if anything was out there. Looking through the opening I see my sister on her feet near a wall, no more zombies were in sight. I slide the cover to my right side and got out of the sewers, Beatrice followed behind me.

I got closer to my sister. I was glad that she understood what I said. The three of us walked alongside the white wall of the hospital, stopping on the corner.

The entry of the hospital was full of zombies, both patients, and workers. The door didn't have any lockers, so we just needed to push it to open.

The noise was what called the attention of these things, so I needed to have something to make noise and distract them.

Killing them was not an option, since there should be almost ten zombies here. I could not afford that many monsters. I look around and see some stones around.

I pick some of them and look around once again. There were some cars parked, maybe if I throw a rock at one of their windows the alarm will shoot and it will call the attention of those things.

Picking a rock, I position myself in the right direction to throw it to the closest vehicle, yet far enough for the monsters not to locate us as we pass through.

I throw the rock at the car, but it only hits its back. Just half of the zombies got their attention in the direction that I wanted. This was more difficult than I thought.

Another stone was thrown, this time it hit one of the wheels. I grit my teeth in annoyance. One final throw and the stone hits the window, but it doesn't break, it only ricochets.

My sister then sees my annoyed state and puts a hand on my elbow. I look at her and she gestures to me to give her the rock.

Sighting, I give it to her, Lauren walks the way to the same car that I was trying to destroy the window.

She puts the stone between her hands, it did not look that stable, since her fingers do not move. Then my sister throws the stone at the front window.

The glass shatters all around the place, making a huge noise, but the alarm that came next was what called the attention of the rest of the zombies.

"Ti follow me" I whisper to Beatrice and start walking glued to the wall.

No zombie got our attention and we reach the entrance of the hospital. As soon as we push the door open Lauren walks toward us and also enters the building.

"Now it's the important part Ti" I look at her while I talk "where's your father?"

"When we visited my father three months ago, I remember. It was the second floor, room thirty-four" I look in my front

We needed to go up the stairs and it was probable that we found monsters along the way. I sight.

"Keep close to me and pay attention. Lauren, I'm counting on you to help me kill anything in our way" I say and start walking in the dark corridor direction.

__________________________________

Next chapter is the last one before the epilogue.

Word count: 1345