Chapter 3

As I wake up, I look around. My sister was not here.

   I get up and look around the house, still no sign of Lauren. Then I go outside, not getting too far away from the house, I search for my zombie sister.

   Not obtaining sign of her I go back inside the house. In the way there see footprints close to the door.

   "Fuck..." I run and grab my backpack, going to the outside of the house

   Following the footprints, I walk as fast as I can. On the way, I did not have any unexpected encounters, thankfully.

   When the footprints stopped, I see a number of vehicles. It looked like a survivor's camp, but nobody was there. I get closer to the center and I wanted to scream.

   Everybody was dead, about six people were on the ground, all of them dilacerated. The stomach was open, the guts were all around and as always, blood was dripping from the bodies. Their heads were stabbed, probably to stop them from turning into zombies.

   But that wasn't the worst part, my...sister, was the one who did that to the bodies. She was eating every one of them...why? Didn't she have consciousness?

   I got closer to her and ask

   "Why Lauren?" she was eating one of the bodies, when she heard me, she turned around quickly

   Fear was in her eyes. Fear of me discovering what she truly was. I got closer to her and she stepped back, her long light brown hair was covering her face, trying to hide it from me.

   "It's ok Lauren", she stopped moving and looked at me, her whole face was covered with blood "I understand why you did it...you're not human, neither you're one of them...but you need to eat, the difference is just...you need to eat human meat. And I don't care if it's wrong to be with you or not, because you are my family...and I won't stay alone again. So, I'm doin' everything I need to keep you" tears were running down my face

   "I don't know the way back now..." I looked around. This place looked safe "let's stay here for the time being"

   Again, I needed to take all these bodies off the place where we were going to be.

__________________________________

   After putting the bodies away, placing all of them in a bush four hundred meters away from the camp. I sit against a tree, my sister was inside of a bus, one of the automobiles serving as a shelter.

   I catch my backpack and open it, taking out the cigarettes, maybe I should do it, an escape from this reality.

   I took out my lighter and one cigarette, putting it in my mouth, and breathed in. Coughing I took it out of my mouth, and once my breathing got normal again, I repeated the process until I could do it without coughing.

   This wasn't perfect, but I just couldn't stop doing it now. So, I just continued, I felt like everything disappeared and I just focused on this.

__________________________________

   I was running, I do not know from what. All I knew is that I did not have anywhere else to go, fire surrounded me. Then I see my sister, coming out of the ashes. She was covered with blood and the only thing that I was able to see was her eyes. Her zombie's eyes.

   She began walking towards me until she was centimeters away from me. Lauren bites me and slowly the shadows surrounded me, I blacked out, the last thing that I saw was fire, and a subway.

   I wake up breathing heavily, sweating, and feeling the urge to scream. Walking out of the bus I put my back against the hard metal of the vehicle and take a deep breath.