Chapter 21

(Harper's POV)

*later during the day

"Max, watch the restaurant with Harper. We'll be back soon after court." Mr. Russo said.

"I still don't get what I did wrong! I exposed magic because it was the only way to free all the other wizards at wiz tech." Alex argued on the way out.

Max flipped out my phone to call Y/N.

"Don't you think you'll get in trouble if you invite other people without your parent's permission?" I asked.

"Nah, not if she's gonna help me get rid of my traps." He claimed. True.

Y/N walked through the doors 5 minutes later in her baggy clothes.

"What the hell did you need?" She complained. "I had to cancel my plans going to an arcade with another friend."

"Mom and Dad are mad I set up traps around the restaurant and house. Can you help me out?" Max requests.

"So why can't Harper help?"

"No, no, no. I'm not getting involved with this. I don't wanna." I demanded. "I'm cleaning up the restaurant."

"Alright fine we'll work together." Max sat back on one of the tables and went on his phone. "Y/N, let me know when you're done."

"Phone. Table. Now."

"I'll shove it up your ass instead."

"Put that phone down or I tell your parents you just sweared without permission."

He slammed the phone down. "Fine. We'll start getting the ones in the house first."

They both ran to the loft. Meanwhile I'm left alone in the restaurant. "Nice to have you guys back."

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

"We can't find my last booby trap. Can you help us find it?" Max and Y/N ran down with a box full of stuff.

"No, I don't want any part of that." I insisted. "After everything that's been going on, all I wanna go is to sit and relax."

"Harper, wait!-" Y/N tried to stop me from sitting but it was already done.

Then I heard gears turning and things whirling. I look up to see a hamper full of clothes above me. How is someone still alive in this family?

"Max, does your trap include your clothes hamper mounted to the ceiling?" I questioned.

"Um, yeah it does. Let me know if you see that by the way." He looked back at the box of traps.

I laughed half heartedly and pointed to the basket. Y/N just put her head down and covering her face in shame of Max.

He looked back up. "Oh that's it! Now listen Harper, when you get up a pile of dirty clothes, snacks I didn't finish, bathroom floor hair, and banana peels will smother you. It's my own personal avalanche of filth."

That's when I got an idea. "Oh man, what a predicament I'm in. Yeah it's bad... But you know, I gotta go to the bathroom. Hey why don't you sit here for a second. Then I'll come back, and then I'll figure this out."

"Yeah, I guess we can make that work. Let's bum scooch on 3. And then you're gonna come right back right?"

"Yeah, I'll come right back."

"Alright, one... two... three!"

And just like that, Max and I switched positions. "Ciao man. That was a good bum scooch. Ok um, I'm gonna be right back. Yeah."