Chapter 28

इन्द्रियाणि पराण्याहुरिन्द्रियेभ्यः परं मनः।
मनसस्तु परा बुद्धिर्यो बुद्धेः परतस्तु सः॥ ३-४२

indriyāṇi parāṇyāhurindriyebhyaḥ paraṃ manaḥ।
manasastu parā buddhiryo buddheḥ paratastu saḥ|

The senses are superior to the gross body, and superior to the senses is the mind.
Beyond the mind is the intellect, and even beyond the intellect is the soul.

Aisha's POV

"Table five's order," Nicholas said as he stood next to me in the kitchen.

I took the slip from his hands, slowly moving toward the stove and preparing the list of dishes. Humming to myself, I rolled the spatula in the gravy. When I passed out during my dance, a week ago, Aaron did not talk to me for two whole days.

It was nothing but exhaustion from dancing and everything I had to do before that. Because I danced after a long time, the musical anklet got stuck in my ankle and blood flew down. In extreme panic mode, Aaron lost his patience. But, I was fine and it took me four freaking hours of lecture to tell him that I was indeed fine. He, the ultimate protector of my sanity and health, did not let me get up from bed for two days. 

Even bhaiya asked a hundred questions, which I ignored and assured him that it was some low iron in my body. Bhaiya went back to India three days after Diwali, leaving me a sobbing mess in my apartment. No matter if Aaron or Riri were there for me, the pain in my chest did not ease for the next day. Though, Aaron tried to make me smile every moment he could. Not that I was complaining, but I had some very torturous pictures of him doing shit to make me laugh. For example, the evening he accidentally dropped the pot of pasta on Riri when he was supposed to serve it to me. Poor girl had hair spa treatment an hour ago. I laughed my ass off, clutching my stomach. 

I smiled, looking blankly at the wall.

"Focus on your work, Aisha. I don't want to serve burnt food to my customers. And if you find it difficult to do your job, feel free to join somewhere else. " Nicholas said.

I raised my brows, turning my head as I looked at him. His brows knitted in confusion, lips pursed in a thin line. Dang.

"What crawled in your skin?"

"Nothing, Just some arguments with my dad. What is up with you? You are smiling like a maniac." He asked.

"Me? Nah! A stupid memory I had with Aaron."

"yeah, well, that's all you talk and think about. So much so that you even forgot to wish me happy Diwali," he said, one his brow arching in a perfect v. 

I blinked. Did I just forget to wish him? Oh, hell yes, I did. I was so engrossed in all the happiness and lovely time that it skipped my mind to call him on that day. 

"Umm- I- shit. I am sorry, Nick, I- you know was there and I got busy with everything." I said, biting my lower lip as my eyes burned a little. 

Nicholas came closer, his hand resting on my shoulder as he pushed me a little to his chest. I maintained my distance, standing a foot away from him. "Hey, hey. It's all right. Don't start crying right now. I understand you were with Rahul. And we are not five years old to fight for such a simple thing."

"Yes. I know but I feel like I shouldn't have ignored you as I did but I was just so busy and out of the senses that I tot-" 

Taylor's song boomed in the kitchen. I wiped my hand with the apron as I picked up the call, raising my finger at Nicholas. I mouthed the words 'sorry, I have to take this.