𝖝𝖎𝖎. eventful end of the year

Mulai dari awal

Professor Lupin's office door was wide open. An empty Grindylow tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was nearly full. The older man was bending over something on his desk, and only looked up when Evangeline knocked on the door.

''I saw you coming,'' he told her, smiling, before he pointed to a piece of parchment he had been poring over.

''How— never mind that, professor. I overheard the groundskeeper, Hagrid, saying you'd resigned. It is not true, is it?''

Professor Lupin continued opening his desk drawers and taking out their contents. ''I'm afraid it is.''

''Why?'' Evangeline demanded. ''You are the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher I've had in my seven years at Hogwarts! You cannot deny younger years the privilege of being taught by you.''

Professor Lupin smiled wryly, shaking his head. ''Such praise means a lot coming from someone like you, Miss Rosier.''

''Someone like me?'' She repeated, watching him carry on empty his drawers, sadness etched into her features. ''What is so special about someone like me?''

Professor Lupin was still smiling, throwing his last few books into his case, closing his desk drawers, and turning to look at his student. Except she wasn't his student anymore; she was Evangeline Rosier. ''You are ambitious. You are bright. You are witty. You are destined to do great things, and I am confident you will do what is right in terms of our conversation in the Astronomy Tower.''

Evangeline found herself returning his smile, momentarily entranced by the comforting warmth of his dark brown eyes.  They were the hue of every tree in the forest from the early light to the sunset, made all the richer by the golden light. He was no longer her professor; he was Remus Lupin. ''Thank you, Professor Lupin. It really has been a pleasure to be taught by you. Forgive me if I am overstepping, but I do wonder — where you will go now?''

''I am no longer your teacher, so I doubt there is such a thing as overstepping. I will go back to where I came from, and live my quiet life just as I was before I was invited to teach here at Hogwarts.''

The Rosier girl nodded, holding out her hand for him to shake, which he gladly took. His hand was warm, just as she expected it to be, a pleasant sensation against her own cold skin. There was a sudden knock at the door, interrupting a moment which neither parties wanted to end.

Evangeline hastily took back her hand, longing for his touch the second the contact was cut. It was Professor Dumbledore, who didn't look surprised to see her there in the slightest.

''Your carriage is at the gates, Remus.''

''Thank you, Headmaster,'' he replied, picking up his old suitcase and the empty Grindylow tank before facing Evangeline once more. ''Well — goodbye, Miss Rosier. It has been a real pleasure teaching you, likewise. I feel sure we'll meet again sometime.''

''I do hope so, I feel as if there is still so much more you can teach me. Goodbye, sir.''

''Goodbye, Remus,'' Dumbledore said soberly. Professor Lupin shifted the tank slightly so that he and Dumbledore could shake hands. Then, with a final nod to Evangeline, and a wide smile, he left the office.

It wasn't only Professor Lupin's departure that was weighing heavy on Evangeline's mind. She couldn't help thinking about the after; after school, after home, after marriage. The dreadful thoughts coiled in her mind like a serpent, turning and twisting throughout the grooves in her brain.

The exam results coming out on the last day of term eased everything slightly, but not fully. It was only when Evangeline opened the envelope that she felt the invisible weight lift off of her chest. Her eyes skimmed over the results, only daring to breath once the satisfaction had registered.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

NASTILY EXHAUSTING WIZARDING TEST RESULTS

Pass Grades Outstanding (O), Exceeds Expectations (E), Acceptable (A)

Fail Grades Poor (P), Dreadful (D), Troll (T)

Evangeline Rosier has achieved:

Charms O

Defence Against the Dark Arts O

Herbology A

Potions O

Transfiguration O

History of Magic O

Astronomy O

Divination E

Study of Ancient Runes O

Arithmancy E

Headmaster: Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chief Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

The end-of-term feast took place amid decorations of scarlet and gold, and the Gryffindor table was the noisiest of the lot as everybody celebrated. All was well until most of the food had been inhaled and only a few stragglers remained, the silver six included, when Dumbledore stood up and spoke a last-minute announcement.

''Could I have Miss Evangeline Rosier come to my office before nightfall, please.''

The pure-blood shrunk in her seat from embarrassment, avoiding Snape's beady black eyes. She had not hexed any younger years during exam week, so what could this have been about?