𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖛. the second task

( 𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗 ) — the second task

The seats that had encircled the dragons enclosure in November were now ranged along the opposite bank, rising in stands that were packed to the bursting point and reflected in the lake below.

The judge's were sat at another gold-draped table at the water's edge, whilst Evangeline perched awkwardly on a stool at Dumbledore's side. He had requested her presence out of all the other professors specifically, but Merlin only knew why. It was odd; the Headmaster had taken to keeping her close by his side, as if trying to make up for the father she had lost. The brunette didn't know whether to be thankful such an admittedly powerful wizard had taken her under his wing, or to raise a perfectly plucked brow in suspicion.

Cedric, Fleur — a stunning, slim blonde girl from Beauxbatons who had complimented Evangeline's cobalt cloak — and Viktor were beside the judge's table, watching Harry sprint towards them.

''I'm . . . here . . . '' the Potter boy panted, skidding to a halt in the mud and accidentally splattering Fleur's robes.

''Where have you been?'' Percy's disapproving and bossy voice came. Clearly, filling in for Mr Crouch had gotten to his head. ''The task is about to start!''

''Now, now, Percy!'' Bagman tutted, looking intensely relieved to see Harry. ''Let him catch his breath!''

Evangeline and Dumbledore both smiled at Harry, but Karkaroff and Madame Maxime didn't look at all pleased to see him . . . it was obvious from the looks on their faces that they had thought he wasn't going to turn up.

Harry bent over, hands on his knees, gasping for breath whilst Bagman moved among the champions, spacing them along the bank at intervals of ten feet. He had placed the green-eyed boy at the very end, next to Viktor, who was wearing swimming trunks and was holding his wand ready.

The Rosier girl waited until Bagman was done whispering to Harry before she went up to the fourth-year, offering him good luck and a quick hug. She caught Karkaroff's eye, who was keeping her eyes on her in an indistinguishable manner.

Bagman had pointed his wand at his throat as he had done at the Quidditch World Cup, and said, ''Sonorus!''

His voice boomed out across the dark, murky water and towards the stands.

''Well, all our champions are ready for the second task, which will start on my whistle. They have precisely an hour to recover what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One . . . two . . . three!''