𝖝𝖝𝖎𝖝. loving me is a death sentence

( 𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊 ) — loving me is death sentence

No words needed to be spoken.

Showing up on his doorstep with tears threatening to fall from her engaging eyes was enough. He scooped her into his big arms at once, running a comforting hand through the silky locks of her chestnut hair.

''It's okay,'' he soothed, his voice music to her ears. ''You're okay now.''

''I knew him, Remus,'' she coughed through her sobs. ''Cedric Diggory. I knew him, and now he's dead. Seventeen years old, and dead.''

''You don't have to talk about it right now. Sirius just left, he told me everything.''

He led her through into his living room, guiding her into a squashy armchair. It was a burgundy velvet, which lingered with the scent of Remus' musky cologne.

Evangeline stayed completely still as he exited the room, heading for the bathroom (she presumed) judging by the following rush of running water. The June air was sticky and bothersome, doing no favours for her drenched outfit — the unfortunate aftermath of running around Hogwarts and then Apparating whilst crying.

Remus returned after a few minutes, not surprised to see his friend hadn't moved so much as a muscle. The sight of her flushed cheeks and glossy irises tugged at the utmost depths of his heartstrings.

''I've run a bath for you,'' he told her gently. ''I figured you'd want to relax, and have a change of clothes.''

The brunette pure-blood said nothing, nodding thankfully and trailing upstairs. She had never been anywhere in the house apart from the ground floor; there were four extra rooms. A pleasantly welcoming library, clean bathroom, modest bedroom, and a double-door at the end of the hall that was shut with gold initials reading ❛H & L❜.

Her interest was momentarily piqued, but exploring somebody's home uninvited was just plain rude. Besides, judging by the shut and slightly ajar doors, the cottage valued its privacy.

Evangeline made a beeline for the bathroom instead, as she was expected to. There was nothing more she wanted than to get rid of the suffocating garments she had been wearing since the morning of the third and final Triwizard Tournament task — look at how that turned out.